Monday, September 22, 2014

Monday 22.9: Amrap of 20min, barbell technique

Monday. Metcon, 20min amrap of: 5 hspu, 10 (5/5) db snatch 25kg, 15 t2b, 200m run. Result, 7rds + 1 snatch. Mobility. Technique, clean and overhead squat.

I'm very happy on the way I was able to recover from weekend. It was strenuous on my body but little by little it got better and started feeling stronger. Today I felt great to get back to work, barbells were mostly left alone. The metcon was a long amrap of bodyweight and dumbbells. Great one. Mobility was in turn next and finally some cleans with light weight and overhead squats with pvc pipe.



Metcon. Result, 7 rounds + 1 db snatch
  • 20min amrap of:
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 10 (5 right / 5 left) dumbbell snatch, 25kg
  • 15 toes-to-bar
  • 200m run (on a treadmill)
Goal for today: get the lungs to work, breath heavy and keep going, leave heavy barbells alone, suck it up and move, no excuses. Result, succeeded. The movements suited perfectly together, and the rep-scheme was almost too. The only thing I would change now afterwards is the number of t2b's. Just a little less per round would have made me go unbroken all the way, and that would have resulted in even heavier breathing.

Handstand push-ups were light, I knocked them quickly touch'n'go style all the time, could have had something like 6-7 reps and it would have still been okay. I felt strong on these. Snatches weren't that nice. The dumbbell was 25kg, which is pretty much the heaviest I've used as db snatch. Single lifts at this weight feel great. It's a different game though, when you have 10 of them in a row. First 5 reps with right hand, then switch to left hand and repeat 5 reps. These started to feel hard toward the end but I stayed consistent with them.




Toughest movement of these was t2b. In the beginning it was a walk in the park. Second round, as easy. Third round, I started to anticipate the upcoming. Fourth round, this was a grind. On the fifth round I broke it to 10-5. This short break between hopping back on the pull-up bar gave some rest and got my breathing down. From this point on I believe my breathing was well in control because there was this compulsory break before being able to continue t2b's. It was simply too big of a burn in my hip flexors and core to continue.

I forced myself to jump on the treadmill right after finishing toes-to-bar. On some rounds I took a zip of water, and then went on. Pace on the run was 16km/h. That suited well. On one round later in the workout I felt tired and put on 12 km/h. That felt too slow so I took it back up to 16, and kept it there. Round times were pretty consistent throughout the workout. It was the t2b's that slowed me a little because I had to drop down from the pull-up bar from 5th round on. Everything except those 3 last rounds were unbroken with all movements and I strongly feel my pace remained the same. It felt a little worse by the round - as it should - but mental game was in the house today.




Mobility and technique.
  • Mobility drills
  • Power clean
  • Overhead squat
The workout got me so it took some time to just chill out and recover. I focused on mobility by using resistance band. Opened up my hip flexors as they got tight during the metcon. They were under a lot of pressure, basically every movement except hspu's put lots of heat on hip flexors. After some more stretching I felt my legs were back in the game and it was time to work on my clean technique. Just light weight, working on getting the bar as high on my thighs as possible. I tried not to rush it from the ground and carefully hit the contact point high on my quads. Lastly, it was time for classic overhead squat mobility drills, this time with pvc pipe. Agenda was keeping a good posture, chest up, armpits forward and knees out.





No comments:

Post a Comment