Saturday, September 20, 2014

Saturday 20.9: Rings, Hero wod JT, Burpees

Saturday. Skills, ring muscle-ups. Hero workout JT, 21-15-9 of: hspu, ring dips, push-ups. Time, 12.11. Cashout, 50 burpees for time. Time 2.13.

This was a long work week, I went to work today as well. But afterwards Pauliina came to our gym and we hit a workout together, and started the weekend through this kind of quality time. No weights today at all. First ring skills, then hero wod JT, and finished the training session with 50 burpees. This was Pauliina's idea. She hit it first, and then talked me over. Thanks for that, it was a good finisher.



Skills.

  • Ring muscle-ups (2-1-1-1)

I've done some sort of muscle-ups 4 times in the past week. That's frequent for me. I usually do them once or twice a week. Ideally I would do bar muscle-ups twice a week and rings maybe once. I would also mix bar mu's into metcons if I had proper equipment for that. That would be great! For the past week I wanted to add more of them in to my programming.

Bar muscle-ups are rolling very nicely currently, and I'm a little proud of myself to say the truth. I'd like to see this transfer to ring muscle-ups too. It's much more complex movement and I tend to get fatigue on rings quickly. I don't do false grip practically at all anymore because I want to practice on strong swing and kipping. Hmm, that brings me to a question should I get back to false grip and complete more reps to get my body used to ring muscle-ups. Don't know but I'd like to see myself banging 10-20 reps in a session those times when I sacrifice time for ring muscle-ups.


Recap of rings


JT. Time 12.11

  • 21-15-9 of:
  • Handstand push-ups
  • Ring dips
  • Push-ups

Because of my life's first strength program - Smolov squat program - I have neglected quite a number of movements that burn legs. Then again, that's been the reason why I've looked for workouts that put more pressure on upper body. Benchmark wod JT seemed perfect for these purposes. A lot of pressing. Think about it, 3 press movements, you're pushing your body to some direction. No real recovery time except the time you decide to rest.

In this workout at least I needed rest. This wasn't bad on breathing nor metabolic conditioning but more on muscle endurance. My upper body / shoulders were smoked after first round. I had to have a strategy for this workout. Gassing too early would have been a disaster so I took 15-6 on hspu's, then broke ring dips to 7-7-7, same with push-ups.

Round of 15's took me longer than the first round. Hspu's were 5-4-3-3, ring dips 5-5-5. At that time the burn started to get fierce and I couldn't speed it up even a bit. These sets were perfect for me. It was tough but doable. Last round on hspu's was 4-3-2, ring dips were 5-2-2 and push-ups 4-3-2. On last round I tried to minimize the recovery between sets. This was a good workout for upper body strength and endurance. I liked it a lot. It was tough, got to say.

Recap of JT


Cashout. Time 2.13

  • 50 burpees

Because JT didn't get to my lungs practically at all, I needed to get something to get heart beat up. Pauliina did 50 burpees for time at the same time with my JT, and she started persuading me to hit the same workout. That sounded like a good short and intense workout. The only thing I was thinking about beforehand was the numbness in my shoulders / chest. How would those burpees hit me?

Well, it definitely had an effect but not that bad anyway. It was a bit slower than with fresh body but I'm pretty happy on the pace I was able to keep. And my body was moving constantly for the entire workout. Thanks Pauliina for this tip, it was a good finish to this effective training session!

Burpees




No comments:

Post a Comment