Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tuesday 30.9: Bar mu's, Wall balls, Box

Tuesday. Skills, emom x 7min: 3 bar mu's. Emom x 8min: 15 wall ball (9kg). Cashout, 50 box jumps (70cm).

It was only perfect that I had to drive Pauliina to her friend so they could do last minute adjustments on her friend's upcoming wedding party for next weekend. Due to schedules I couldn't hit the gym and was "forced" to do the workout outdoors. I enjoyed every minute of it and got a chance to practice on my skills and play with wall ball too! I headed to Pirkkola to check it out, and to take care of my fitness.



Skills.

  • Every minute on the minute, for 7 minutes:
  • 3 bar muscle-ups

This is something I rarely do anywhere else than outdoors. And mostly in Pirkkola or then at the forest near my home, these two are classic bar muscle-up stations for me. Yesterday I did one rep at the gym but there's not that much space for a big kip so that muscle-up yesterday wasn't the most beautiful I've done because I wasn't able to utilize my lower body that effectively.

This Tuesday I did this skills practice in emom style which was a good decision in my opinion. I took one triple before I put the clock and camera running so you'll see only 6 sets below. All sets felt similar and my body was took it well, very receptive to this movement, and it obeyed what I tried to tell it to do. My technique has taken a huge leap forward the past summer, and it has stayed good since then, at least way better than what it used to be. For my standards this is good right now.

Bar muscle-ups


Workout.

  • Every minute on the minute, for 8 minutes:
  • 15 wall ball, 9kg

It's been a while since I've thrown wall ball around. Got to say it's a very good tool to improve fitness. As simple as it can get but still very effective to burn shoulders, legs and lungs. Today I did 15 reps per minute, then recover for the rest of the minute, after full 60 seconds, repeat the reps per min. Totaling 8 minutes, or 120 wall balls.



It's very simple movement in general. Of course you've got to pay attention to hitting the standard depth, same with keeping the torso in an upright position. But basically it's a matter of squatting with the ball, then throwing it to the targeted height. This beam is great as there is marked the heights gradually, there's a 3m target so I'm always throwing a little higher than that. I guess the traditional number is 3.05m, not sure though. That's what I've used always =)

I did these wall balls in emom style, knocking 15 reps per minute, for a total of 8 minutes (120 reps). I had no plan for this when starting to throw the ball. After first 2-3 sets I thought I'd go for 6 minutes. At 5min it changed to 8 min. I was tough for the rounds 6-8 for sure, it started to burn my shoulders, not legs. There were couple of misses included in these sets, even though that's something I always try to avoid.

Wall balls


Cashout.

  • 50 box jumps, 70cm

I went running for a while, then found a podium where all 3 spots were at different heights. The highest version being somewhat more challenging than the regular box jumps at the gym. I would estimate it at about 70cm. It was a good choice to slow down on the training session today with box jumps and get this body already prepared for tomorrow. These box jumps were not too heavy. I hopped on my car and went eating and recovering.






No comments:

Post a Comment