Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Wednesday 10.9: Squats, Pull-ups, Push-ups

Wednesday. Strength, back squat, starting Smolov squats. Metcon, 5rds of: 10 pull-ups, 10 push-ups. Time 3.28.

Today was the first day I have ever started any kind of strength program. I've done all my strength training by feeling in the past. Just trying to work weaknesses and trying to keep it as versatile as possible. Constant variety. Now I'm gonna try how the "Smolov" squat program is going to rock. I have no doubts it would rock if I did purely strength. But of course I'm gonna do crossfit so I'm a little worried how my body is gonna react squatting that much. If it looks like I'm wasted then crossfit will probably take over and I'm gonna slow down on the squats. Let's see, but today was anyway the first day of a lot of back squats. These sets and weights are predetermined, there's notthing I can do to influence them =) They are calculated from my current max automatically.



Strength.
  • Back squat 3x8 (95kg), 1x5 (100kg), 2x2 (110kg), 1x1 (115kg)
So these reps and weights were given to me. The loads were not heavy at any stage. This is part of the "introductory" cycle, just getting used to squatting frequently. I'm trying to follow this closely but I'm not gonna have bad conscious if I have to modify something on the fly. Those first sets were toughest if something was tough in this session. There was no doubt of getting those reps done as planned but I had to stop before the last reps in the second and third set. Just to release the tension, but only for a second or two.




Metcon. Time 3.28
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 10 push-ups
Something quick in the end. Something like power snatch and pull-ups were in my mind in the morning. However, my upper body is sore from yesterday's cleans. There were a big load of them with different weights so I definitely felt the burden today. That's also the reason why I skipped snatches because it would have brought similar tightness in upper back as cleans.

So it ended up being pull-ups and push-ups. Short and rather intense. Not 100% effort but I moved with a purpose. Both movements felt heavy this time, even with the small amount of reps. There were only 50 piece of each. I got the pull-ups unbroken but had to cut push-ups to pieces on the last 2 rounds.




No comments:

Post a Comment