Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sunday 26.10: Squat snatch, Metcon of snatch and du's

Sunday. Barbell, snatch (max 60kg). Metcon, 12min amrap of: 15 power snatch, 30 du. Result, 278 reps.

My back is sore from Friday's heavy deadlifts. That was a bit of a surprise factor for today's workout. Could I be able to snatch with that muscle pain reminding of itself constantly. The answer is yes. I was able to throw in probably the best squat snatch technique session of my life. Then something close to CF Open workout 11.1, thought I did it but afterwards it looks like it wasn't exactly the same. Anyway, back feels better than before the session =)



Barbell.
  • Squat snatch
  • Random reps, more with lighter weights and fewer with heavier
  • Climbing up to 55kg for squat snatch, finished with 1x60kg power snatch
I really had no big hopes for today's snatches. Just need to get something in my system to remind the body how it's done. Squat snatches were beyond my dreams. Some months ago I wrote I'm not gonna try any squat snatches because my mobility is not at a level that would allow me to go even close to parallel with smooth technique. Got to admit, I wasn't too optimistic of getting better at that element. Being 35 in a week I'm the strongest I've ever been, have the best mobility I've ever had (even though I was a floorball goalie in my previous sports life) and have the best condition I've ever had. Got to be happy for every single day I'm able to train with this intensity.


Thought about doing power snatches just to get them done but then again I tried to do squat snatches and felt better than ever on those. Plus there's one huge thing. I've narrowed my grip on snatches remarkably. I'd say it's almost 10cm from both ends. I used to have my hands in the extreme ends. This is something beyond words. That means to say my shoulder and back mobility have taken next steps. And even though Smoloz squat program wasn't cool at all times, it has made miracles to my lower body mobility. Thanks to that guy!

Today I took random reps at different weights, adding plates after having finished successful reps. It ended to at 55kg for a double. And I can proudly say these were the best squat snatches I've seen myself do on camera. Usually they stay above parallel so they actually aren't squat snatches at all. On 60kg I wasn't able to stabilize the movement and I had to drop the bar. On second attempt the previous failed attempt got under my skin and I didn't have the balls to drop under the bar. Had to retake it as power snatch just to show the barbell who's in charge. Got to work on this squat snatch technique and free the movement on the catch position to create confidence.

Recap


Metcon. Result, 278 reps
  • 12 min amrap of:
  • 15 power snatch, 35kg
  • 30 double unders
Yep, I thought this would be one of the CF Open workouts from past years. I remembered it was something like 15 snatch + 30 du's. The order of them was supposed to be reversed and the time frame was also wrong :) Well done mister… Whatever, it was very good workout! And that's the main point, high intensity. At times it feels like this crossfit thing is tough stuff. Then on the other hand, training sessions like yesterday evening - bench press etc. without intensity - gets me bored. Today's session was the exact opposite. And I was pumped about it!!! This is what I need to get in my system. I enjoy every workout, intensity is what I live for.


I get so much more out of a workout if breathing gets heavy and you can test the limits of your body. Sometimes body is feeling tired and that's only natural but the main thing is I do this because I love working out. I've been doing sports my entire life and I don't recall a time I would not have liked to do sports. Floorball took my time for about the last 10 years and now it's time to do crossfit, looks like it's here to stay. I wanna be in shape and in good health for the rest of my life.

Back to the workout. This is metabolic condition workout for sure. Snathes were light, just 35kg on the bar. And du's gets heartbeat sky rocketing always. The combination of these movements is toughest on shoulders. I remember we did this same wod just a while ago with Toni as a partner workout. That time I was able to do all rounds unbroken because there was one athlete working at a time. One round at a time. The recovery while Toni was doing his part was enough to allow me to go full throttle at all times.



Today I got first round unbroken on the snatches, then the remaining rounds were 9-6 all the way. Double unders brought no issues and I completed them without pauses or misses. Hook grip is a must in a high-rep snatch workout like this. Awesome metcon!



No comments:

Post a Comment