Thursday, October 16, 2014

Thursday 16.10: Push press, Hspu

Thursday. Barbell, push press 3x3 (70kg). Gymnastics, emom, 8 hspu x 9 min.

Clearly a lighter day. Putting the most pressure on upper body this time. I was thinking about doing heavier presses but both of my elbows were a bit sore from those heavy squat triples from yesterday. I guess they were in a lot of stress during that squat hour. After push presses I decided to hit some hspu's emom style. Me likey!



Barbell.
  • Push press 3x3 (across 70kg)
We were doing work together with Joni who was focusing on clean & jerk action. Took some sets with lighter weights at 40, 50 and 60kg. The movement pattern itself felt good but the weight brought burden to my elbows and it didn't feel great to move it up overhead. Joni gave some tips later in the session on wrist position when barbell lays in the front rack, got to try to obey those tips more next time.

This was light weight and I got hungry to work on my shoulder strength. There was no need for a freaky metcon today so it was natural to work on my skills being inverted. Next station: hspu's.

We simply love avocados with Pauliina, just bought 4.5kg of them today =)

Gymnastics.
  • Every minute on the minute
  • 8 handstand push-ups, for 9 minutes
We were speculating the reps and minutes with Pauliina before I jumped on the wall. We had something like 6x8min and 7x7min on our minds to hit a total of approximately 50 reps but then I decided to just get the first set going and go by feeling, 8 was gonna be the absolute max though. The first set was very light so it seemed like a good plan to do couple of sets at 8 reps per min. Pauliina suggested to do 8 reps for as long as possible in that one minute time cap. Something similar as to "death by" workouts.


Sounded awesome so that was my goal for the next minutes. It was easy for about 4 minutes. It took about 12 seconds to finish those reps so my pace was rather fast. On 5th minute I realized we are close to hitting a wall in about 7 minutes or so, but it was still okay.

7h round was manageable, had to reset at the bottom position before finishing the last rep, it still got through in about 16 seconds. 8th round was the first round I wasn't able to do unbroken, as the last rep was a single after 7 t'n'go reps. This caused the rest time diminish down a bit and at this point this was crucial. Last round was too painful on shoulders to go ub, and it was something like 4-2-2. There was about 15 seconds left in the clock after 8 reps so I stopped there. My goal was to hit about 50 reps and I went up to 72 so this was a success.


Noah Olsen visiting Cal Strength




No comments:

Post a Comment