Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Tuesday 28.10: Clean and jerk, Snatch balance, 20min emom

Tuesday. Clean and jerk, 3rds of: 1min amrap at 60kg, 3min rest. Technique, snatch balance (max 55kg). Metcon, emom x 20min: 1 round of Cindy.

Had no need to rush this through, took plenty of time to rock it. After getting my body warmed up and ready to rumble it was time for some clean and jerk action, then I took a moment to get my technique better for snatch. Used a complex focusing mostly on snatch balance. Finally something of a mixture between Cindy and Chelsea took place. Great session, felt good!



Clean and jerk.
  • 3 rounds of:
  • 1 min amrap of clean and jerk, 60kg
  • 3 min rest
  • Result, 13-13-13 reps
This popped into my head from last Saturday's workout where I worked for 12 minutes between power cleans, burpees and rowing, each for a total of 4min in a row. This got me thinking of doing high intensity clean and jerks for a while, then recover and hit it again. C&J is a tough movement, gets heart beat hit the sky and muscles burn from lower body to shoulders, especially in a high-rep version. So that got me thinking about the time frame.

This time it turned out to be 1min of work, and 3min of rest. That rest was enough to get me back on track and ready for another sprint. On the first round I completed 8 reps in a row, then brought the bar down, took another set of 4 reps and finished with one single in the end, total of 13 reps. I had time to think between sets and I decided to approach the next set differently; 5 reps, release the tension, take another 5 reps, reset and take the last 3 reps. Was able to stick to this plan, it burned a lot but I got it.

For the third and last round I entered with same plan as for the second. Forced myself to grab the barbell after short recoveries between those sets. So it was 5-5-3 this time too. This got me to the limits for sure. Looks easy on paper but implementing this was a different story. Very useful to say the least!




Snatch complex.
  • 1 power snatch
  • 1 overhead squat
  • 4 snatch balance
  • Sets at 20, 30, 40, 50, 55, 40kg
On Sunday I took squat snatches for the first time in eternity, and realized my mobility is on a level where I can actually do the movement with proper standards and form. I get below parallel and shoulders are in correct position. That was mind blowing moment for me to understand there are no restrictions in my mobility. At least it's getting to better direction, clearly.

That encouraged me to hit this movement again but with different approach. Coach Burgerner is always swearing in the name of snatch balance, and I decided to obey the man. The weights were light, this was more for technique. Took the barbell from ground, threw it overhead, completed an overhead squat, and then the actual diamond of the complex, snatch balance.

I built it up gradually to 55kg. There were 4 snatch balance in every set except of the 55kg where I lost concentration and stupidly dropped the bar in front of me. That was a bummer as the bar wasn't heavy but it was purely a technical mistake. I took another set with lighter weights just to complete the last set with perfection. Muscle memory thing.

Funny thing was that snatch balance felt much more natural and right compared to overhead squat. It was kind of like I found the tracks more easily there, and the path down was great. At the moment I'm feeling like there's been huge steps in my snatch so maybe this will trigger me into practicing it more in the future.

Coach with Dave Lipson


Metcon.
  • Every minute on the minute, for 20 min of:
  • 1 round of Cindy (5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 15 air squats)
Wanted to get the blood flowing in this body, and there's been lack of pull-ups lately in my workouts so this seemed like a good idea. Emom training, for a total of 20 minutes. This was a combination of benchmark workouts Cindy and Chelsea. I kind of went by feeling all the way. I have intentions of bringing pull-ups back to the level where they used to be. Adding volume is on my mind. This workout got me a chance to get a good number of reps done. They were easy, and should have been with just 5 reps at a time.

Push-ups were the thing on this workout, and has always been on Cindy and Chelsea likewise. I got them unbroken ever round but they started to feel fatiguing at around 13 minutes. I've completed Chelsea once before and hit 22+ rounds on Cindy. Both of them have been good pain caves. It took me exactly 30 seconds to finish one round of this emom training, thus leaving exactly 30 seconds to recover before the next round.

This was a good day of training. Was able to work on clean and jerks, and snatch progressions. Plus this grande finale was also a good choice. Liked the entity a lot!



No comments:

Post a Comment