Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Wednesday 8.10: Hspu, Pull-ups & Push-ups, Box

Wednesday. Metcon, 20-15-10 hspu, 30-20-10 pull-ups. Time 6.31. Metcon, 7min amrap of: 10 push-ups, 10 box. Result, 185 reps.

Today was supposed to be a Smolov back squat day but it didn't feel right in my right knee and I'm not the guy to risk this kind of stuff so I postponed squats and took two intense metcons instead, purely bodyweight action this time. Then I hurried home, ate well and headed downtown with a bunch of colleagues for a musical at Helsinki's grand theater.



Metcon. Time, 6.31
  • 20-15-10 handstand push-ups
  • 30-20-10 pull-ups
I got this inspiration from Bobby Noyce who did something similar, he just had c2b's and bar mu's included as well. I posted the video of his workout about a week ago. From that it transformed to this version, couplet of hspu's and pull-ups. the reps were great for this workout, at least they felt perfect for my purpose. I wanted this to be short and intense with my body moving solidly. Had to take breaks in all sets except the last set of pull-ups but still it was an effective workout.

I could have done the first set of hspu's in a row. Hmm, now as I think about it I did 21 reps there… 15 at first and then 6 to finish it. It's so in the back of my head that 21-15-9 rep scheme that I followed it in the beginning =) Anyway I figured it's worth breaking the set because there's more to come and I don't wanna gas out and burn my muscles right away. Pull-ups were something like 20-10, maybe. The remaining sets were similar in nature too. I'm not that sure of the rep sets, I just tried to minimize the breaks and recovery between attempts. This was a good one, definitely worth doing it!




Metcon. Result, 185 reps (9 rounds + 5 push-ups)
  • 7min amrap of:
  • 10 push-ups
  • 10 box jumps, 61cm
After recovering for couple of minutes I decided to hit another one. Wanted it to be bodyweight too so it resulted in push-ups and boxes. My only goal was to have a steady pace and keep the body moving all the time. My goal was reached in a very good manner. I checked the round times (look the picture below) and they felt legit. Just a couple of seconds' difference in the round times. This is what I'm looking for in a metcon. This is also something I consider some sort of strength of mine. Being able to keep up with the pace I choose in the beginning. Sometimes of course it's carried out better than other times but in general I'm pretty solid in my metcons.

Second metcon

Both of these movements started to burn in about 3 minutes. I had strong mental game though and just kept grinding through the rounds. It ended up being a little more than 9 rounds, totaling 185 reps in 7 minutes. This 7min amrap is a great length for a metcon. You can't take it too easy but you can't go all out from first second. It's a pace where you will dig deep at times.





No comments:

Post a Comment