Monday, November 10, 2014

Monday 10.11: Squats, Pull-ups, Box, Run

Monday. Strength, back squat 7x4 (max 120kg). Metcon, 4rds of: 20 pull-ups, 20 box, 400m run. Time, 14.45.

Squat day. This is some sort of continuation to Smolov, I'll try to follow it, without stressing about it too much. But I need to squat anyway and there seems to be a good guide on how to stick to heavy weights. On metcon main ingredient was pull-ups. As I've told before, I'll increase the amount of them, especially now as I have some issues with my wrist and all kinds of press movements are forbidden. Pulling seems to be okay.



Strength.
  • Back squat 7x4 (100, 105, 120, 120, 120, 120, 120kg)
These weights were pre-determined. Last 5 of the 7 sets were 80% of my 1RM. First set 66% and second 70%. Felt light all the way. It was a great feeling of pushing through these sets without any issues. 120kg is no biggie anymore. Warm-up weights. The result of squatting a lot. I also wanna squat frequently to increase mobility in my hips. It's not long ago since it was a problem but through working on mobility it has improved a lot. And squatting 4 times a week definitely helped it way more.


Push jerk descending 10-1, and pull-ups ascending 2-20.
Here's James Hobart going for this "Jake the Snake"


Metcon. Time, 14.45
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 20 pull-ups
  • 20 box jump, 61cm
  • 400m run (and crosstrainer)
I live for intense workouts. I've had to think about the movements what I'm able to do now. This wrist is setting some boundaries what I can do and what are out of limits. I'd like to clean, and press stuff in the air, do hspu's and muscle-ups, ring dips, burpees and snatches. Even squats bring some pain as the hand is flexed so I need to be careful.

Pull-ups are great, there's no pain at all. Today's focus was on rocking high-number reps per round. Started with pull-ups, then box jumps, 20 reps both. The third element was running. I got to the treadmill on the first round and ran 15km/h pace. On the second round it felt like one person jumped on the treadmill on purpose so I hopped on crosstrainer as a substitute, and stuck with it for the 3 remaining rounds. Went up to 400m on that too, it took a bit more time which can be seen on the round times as well. Rower was occupied too so this was the best there was available :)



I'm super happy on the pull-ups. Got 3 rounds unbroken, boom! I knew one round is for sure, and hoped for another round ub too. Well, it was supposed to be because there weren't other movements to burden upper body that much. Felt great to get 80 reps in the books this way.

This metcon was good in nature. Box jumps got to my breathing in a good way. It would have been perfect with the pure running element but this was definitely a good one! By the way, did you watch the Crossfit Invitationals last night, I had a blast checking it out. Below is a recap of the action!




No comments:

Post a Comment