Monday, November 3, 2014

Monday 3.11: Clean and jerk, Thrusters, Du's

Monday. Clean and jerk, emom x 9min. 1-3min: 3x70kg, 4-6min: 2x80kg, 7-9min: 1x90kg. Metcon, 25-20-15-10 thrusters (42.5kg), 50-40-30-20 du's. Time 8.31.

Time to get some overhead strength built up. Clean and jerk is freaking awesome movement, brutal in its own way and suits me well. It's a movement you can always get better at, it's highly technical stuff. It was an emom workout for c&j. Metcon focused on thrusters, accompanied with double unders. I've done something like this before, there's a link to the previous workout below.



Clean and jerk.
  • Every minute on the minute
  • 1-3min: 3x70kg
  • 4-6min: 2x80kg
  • 7-9min: 1x90kg
This was a different type of c&j workout. Doing emom is usually more like light weight and more reps. Today I thought about doing ascending ladder on the weights and descending style on the reps. I took couple of reps at 40 and 60kg before putting the clock running. I did the first weight class touch'n'go style. Those weren't too bad but got me breathing a little heavier than normally. That means to say I did these as power cleans.

On 80kg I decided to change the game regarding the cleans. Took 'em as full cleans (=squat cleans) to work on technique at the same time. Plus I think I've never took 80kg clean and jerk as t'n'g so it was only natural to hit it as squat clean. After hitting 3 rounds at 80kg it was time to do singles at 90kg for 3 more rounds. Had no problems with the lifts at any point. Heavier breathing made the jerk a bit tougher but these were weights I was able to manhandle well. It would probably work very well by doing heavy singles as emom too.



Metcon. Time 8.31. Compare to 14.12.2013
  • 25-20-15-10 thrusters, 42.5kg
  • 50-40-30-20 double unders
I've programmed the workouts lately and also in near future so that my cardio will take next level steps. After focusing a lot on squats I realized metcons, heavy breathing and high heart rate are issues I appreciate a lot. The feeling is awesome after hitting workouts that boost these.

If there was just one movement you'd be allowed to do in an isolated island, it would be thrusters for me. Well okay, I'd take thrusters and c&j, either way =) Both are such holistic movements, there probably isn't a muscle in body that wouldn't be working towards the united goal of the body: getting the barbell up in the sky.



My answer to a good and bad ass metcon was thrusters and double unders. Used 42.5 (95lbs) for barbell which seems to be standard weight in a lot of workouts. I got this in my hands pretty well. First round of thrusters unbroken. Second round was the toughest and I should have probably pushed a little more. It was 10-5-5. Okay, the recovery between sets were short, at least in my opinion but still it should have been completed in 2 sets. The round of 15 was over in 9-6, and the last set unbroken for the remaining 10 reps.

On double unders I had no misses. They felt great all the way and have felt like that for quite some time now. Because my shoulders and breathing were burning I cut the first two rounds in 30-20 and 25-15, last rounds unbroken. This was a great workout to say the least.


No comments:

Post a Comment