Sunday, November 2, 2014

Sunday 2.11: Back squat, 3x3min amrap

Sunday. Strength, back squat, find 1RM (max PR 150kg). Metcon, 3x3min amrap, with 1min rest between amraps of: 3 burpee, 6 pull-up, 9 air squat.

I've been dreaming of this day, have been desperate about it and waiting for it eagerly. And finally it came true, back squat PR of 150kg!!! This is truly something that's been knocking in the back of my head for a long time. I'm very happy about this single lift. It's funny how one repetition in human life  can bring such a joy =)


Strength.

  • Back squat
  • Find 1 rep max (5x90, 1x110, 1x120, 1x130, 1x140, 1x145, 1x150kg PR)
I took couple of weeks Smolov squat program. I don't usually do any programs but rely on crossfit's fundamentals; constant variety. Keep on doing different types of workouts, with different movement combos, different rep schemes, different time domains, different loads. But for some unknown reason this Smolov thing got to my head sometime in the spring time and stuck there for couple of months. I decided to give it a shot and it most definitely wasn't an easy walk but somehow I enjoyed it a lot anyway. There were a lot of benefits to this program.



I tried that one rep max right after having finished the Smolov but that was too soon. When I began Smolov, I entered my 1 rep max at 145kg which was the truth, that was my PR number. Had I tried that number a day before Smolov started, I don't think I would have made it a successful lift. The lifts during the program were based on that 145kg so it probably was a little over what I should have been squatting. Anyway, I tried to top my previous max load right after the last squats were done in that intensity period but it might have been too soon as I failed in 150kg lift. However, 140kg lift that time was the easiest I've done in my life. And about a week ago I took a triple at that weight.



My legs were smashed in the end of this training week after all those benchmark workouts. Yesterday was a day off for me and it got me thinking my legs might recover enough to get that new record in the books. I usually don't take days off because I just love to train. That's as simple as that. I love the feeling of working out and it gives me the highs I'm looking for in life but once in a while it's okay to let the body chill out and recover. I felt the difference in my legs immediately waking up today. No soreness in anywhere in my body, that was a strange feeling =)



Take a look at the videos of today's lifts. It was light up to 140kg, after that I needed to push it to get the reps done. The last rep was probably the slowest back squat the world has ever witnessed. But I got it done on my own, didn't need any help from my spotter. Last time Pauliina had to touch my ribcage during the lift a bit but today she stayed away and let me done my thing.


Metcon.

  • 3x3min amrap of:
  • 3 burpee
  • 6 pull-up
  • 9 air squat
  • Result, 93, 93, 96 reps

This was a great workout for sure! Very good metabolic conditioning workout. My breathing was heavy and legs were burning. It was a bit surprising my upper body felt pretty fine all the way. There was a total of 54 burpees, 93 pull-ups, 135 squats so it was kind of funny how I got to sneak a good number of pull-ups done in a short time.

Probably the toughest part of these three movements were the squats. This was similar as to benchmark workout Chief - which btw is a freaking awesome workout - with 3min amraps with 1min rest between sets. The elements were just different. I wanted to have pull-ups, that was the main element around which I constructed the rest of it. Ideally I liked to see myself rocking this for 5 amraps but my training partner was rushing me to pack up my gear and get going haha =)

Back squat recap

Had no idea how many reps I would be able to complete in 3 minutes. In the first amrap it was 5 rounds + 3 burpees. On the second one I tried to stick to that and actually I got exactly the same amount of reps. The last amrap was obviously the toughest as the 1min recovery after second cycle felt much shorter and I entered the last amrap with heavy heart beat before the first rep. After having completed 5rds + 3 burpees on the 6th round I checked the timer and it said there are couple of seconds left so I had time to do 3 more pull-ups and thus get the best result in the last set.



2 comments:

  1. Jes! Hienosti tuli - onnea!

    Ootko koskaan käyttänyt lukkoja kyykätessä? Mua häiritsee toi painojen vaappuminen (varsinkin pienten levyjen).

    Ja seuraavaks sitte 200 tähtäimeen... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jes thänks! Lukkoja mä on käyttänyt välillä jos tulee enempi toistoja, mutta ehkä tosiaan vähän harvemmin. Metconeissa aina koska toistojen määrät on sitä luokkaa, että kandee pitää. Okei, takakykä metconeita ei tuu hirveesti vedettyy eli tän kaiken pohdinnan jälkeen voisin sanoa, että aika harvoin on lukot päädyissä :)

    ReplyDelete