Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Wednesday 12.11: Squats, C2b, Box jump overs

Wednesday. Strength, back squat (max 135kg). Metcon, 7min amrap of: 7 c2b, 14 box jump overs. Result, 7rds.

There's something great to have a barbell on my back and do some brutal work up and down. Today's last sets were heavy and I felt them in my legs. Another focus point in my current training are pull-ups. I'll try to add them on a regular basis in the sessions and today it was c2b's turn to appear in the metcon.



Strength.

  • Back squat 4x90, 4x105, 4x120, 3x135, 4x135, 4x135kg
These were 60-70-80-90% of my 1RM. This was not my own creation but Smolov's. Smashing sets of multiple reps at 90% of max is not that easy. Especially as last time I made a mistake with 135kg and finished only one rep out of the 3 planned reps. This took place last Friday.

Completing sets at 60% was very light as it was supposed to be. It was definitely warm-up weights. Same with 105kg. Next set was 120kg and it felt fine all the way. The jump from 120 to 135 was a bit intimidating but in the end it turned out to be my thing. I nailed all of these sets without issues. The last 2 sets were definitely challenging but I got them done with a little growling.



4x135kg


Metcon. Result, 7 rounds (147 reps)

  • 7min amrap of:
  • 7 chest-to-bar pull-ups
  • 14 box jump overs

Pull-ups and box, what a great combo and makes an awesome workout. There was a twist in both of the elements. Pull-ups were chest-to-bar's and on box jumps were up and over style. Both are more taxing than regular ones. On pull-ups you just need to pull with more power. On box jumps turning sideways on each rep makes it somehow tougher.


I was wondering about the time domain and the specs of this workout until last minute. I'm very happy on how it turned out. I had decided on the elements beforehand, was just thinking about whether to involve a third element or not. It turned out to be a couplet.

I was almost certain I would have to start breaking the sets on the c2b's at some point. I was super stoked to get them done unbroken each round. Plus round times were extremely balanced, no big difference between them. Round 4-5 were couple of seconds slower so I had to speed up in the last 2 rounds.


Needless to say box jump overs were quite steady paced too because otherwise round times would have been equipped with bigger difference. Reps on both elements were great. Having more c2b's would have been bad stuff but those 7 were manageable. I wanted this metcon to be one where I could keep on moving constantly and it was. Good choice!




No comments:

Post a Comment