Monday, December 1, 2014

Monday 1.12: Squats, Clean, Pistols, T2b's

Monday. Strength, back squat (max 130kg). Metcon, 12min amrap of: 5 clean (60kg), 10 pistols, 15 t2b. Result, 166 reps.

Alright, back to squatting. It's been a week since last time but it feels like an eternity =) There's been so much squatting this autumn that I'm used to get my butt to the floor on a regular basis. After squat strength was a metcon with cleans, pistol squats and toes-to-bar. Great to be back on track!



Strength.
  • Back squat
  • 3x90, 105, 120kg
  • 5x130, 130, 130, 130kg
Built up to heavy 5's. It was a pleasant surprise these weights felt comfortable on my back. I'm not saying the loads were light but definitely felt great to have heavy loads on the bar. Very natural indeed. I went there gradually, first reaping 3 squats at a time, up to 120kg. Then couple of sets at 130kg. I was in a bit of a rush so my planned 5th set had to be left undone because there was a metcon still ahead of me.

Anyway, those 5-rep sets of 130kg were easy for 2 reps, 3rd rep was something to work on, and the last 2 reps good grinders. I've been back squatting a lot in the past months, and I believe there's a possibility I'd start front squatting more in in December and the beginning of the year. Let's see how that transfers to olympic lifts. I also took Burgener Warm-up today to little by little improve my snatch. Take a look at the video below to get used to this stuff.



Metcon. Result, 166 reps (5rds + 1 t2b)
  • 12min amrap of:
  • 5 clean, 60kg
  • 10 pistol squats
  • 15 toes-to-bar
Beforehand I thought this would make a real deal. Just before I hit it off I realized it's gonna be tough stuff on the hip flexors. This was kind of a brainfart that I didn't think of prior to the workout. First, pistol squats after back squats is always a battle for hip flexors but what I'm really talking about is the combination of pistols and t2b. Both elements bring a lot of burden in that place. It's not that big a deal if you only have either of them but together they make hell of a combo.

Thanks Coach, I'll absorb this


So I felt it already after first round in my hip flexors. Breathing was well under control all the way. It was mostly those flexors that were in a big time burn all the time. This resulted in me having to take a short break after cleans before jumping on to the pistol squats. And normally I could roll through couple of rounds of unbroken t2b with these reps but today it was only one ub round. The second round was 10-5 and the rest of them were completed in 3 sets.

I was very happy on getting some sweat on my shirt again. Nothing beats the feeling of a good old school crossfit stuff. Well, okay quality time with my baby is always the best =)



1 comment: