Sunday, December 28, 2014

Sunday 28.12: Sotts Press, Filthy Fifty

Sunday. Snatch mobility drills, sotts press. Benchmark workout Filthy Fifty. Time, 23.33.

Sunday was time for a benchmark workout. I browsed through some archives and found an interesting one named Filthy Fifty. It's been a while since I did it last time and my memories are quite horrific about this one. My body felt a little wrecked after breakfast so it was only suitable that we went to the gym later in the afternoon.



Mobility.
  • Burgener warm-up drills
  • Sotts press 5x5 (20kg)
Prior to the metcon I did lots of mobility stuff to get my body loosened up and ready for the metcon. Most importantly, to improve my mobility in hips and shoulders. There are some tightness that needs to be worked on. Coach Burgener has awesome tools for this so I've been following he's tips on those occasions where I have enough time.



Today I also did something I haven't been able to earlier. Well, I've done sorts presses with a pvc pipe and with another kind of pipe that weighs couple of kilos. But doing it with a barbell has been off limits this far. At least I don't remember doing them with 20kg bar.

It wasn't as natural as I'd like it to be and look like but I'm getting there. These steps aren't always huge but the most important thing is I'm getting to the right direction. And that's definitely what's happening. This last half a year has been a big thing considering my mobility, in both hips and shoulders.


My back rounds a bit when I'm in the rock bottom position of the overhead squat. That can be seen in those sotts presses. I'm not feeling like home in there but this position is already possible in general and that's a big thing for me.

Recap


Filthy Fifty. Time, 23.33
  • 50 box jumps, 61cm
  • 50 jumping pull-ups
  • 50 kettlebell swing, 16kg
  • 50 walking lunges
  • 50 knees-to-elbows
  • 50 push press, 20kg
  • 50 back extensions
  • 50 wall ball shots, 10kg
  • 50 burpees
  • 50 double unders
Lot of action going on in here! First of all, this was the first time I did this workout with rx'd box jumps. Previous times it's been a bench for about 40cm. That's a totally different game and I noticed it right away on the first 2 elements. Box jumps got to my legs and they weren't so fresh for the jumping pull-ups. For some reason I had no pulling power on the "pull-ups". I really don't know what the standard is for the jumping pull-ups. Box took me 1:55 and jumping pull-ups 3:05.



Kb swings were like I wasn't doing anything, it was feather light weight. Got them unbroken all the way, it took 1:42. I'm used to moving double the weight, pretty much the only bell I'm handling is the 2-pood version.

Walking lunges were completed by stepping around the gym. Had to stand up at some time of the round, after thirty something. Those took 1:31. K2e's were bad. I thought I'd rock them but that was not the case. Got them something like 8-8-8-6, and from then on I have no memory at all. That also took some of the intensity off because I had to come down from the pull-up bar. Total time for the k2e was 3:34.



Push press was luckily light weight, completed them in 30-10-10 reps with a total time of 1:58. Back extensions were done in the same manner with same rep scheme, and those took about the same time, 1:49.

Then the heavy breathing began. Wall balls, burpees and double unders. Until this point this had not been the best intensity I could imagine. Had to substitute the wb's to moving 10kg bumper plate up and down. I pushed the plate strong up in the air as if I was throwing a wb, and held my hands up there to "receive" the ball coming back from the wall. Got these done in 3 sets, most likely 20-15-15 reps, time was 2:16.

Burpees were awful! Those bastards took me 4:42, and they totally beat me up. I'm kind of disappointed in not being mentally strong enough to keep pounding my chest to deck continuously. Because I strongly believe burpee is a movement where you actually can move all the time. It's a conscious decision to stop moving. I got these done in sets of 10 reps. Those took an eternity.



Final movement was double unders. Simple at this stage of the workout. I just couldn't grab the jump rope right away. It's quick to go through them anyway, it was 0:53 for this final element, in sets of 30 and 20 reps.

Good workout for sure. Not awesome intensity in the beginning but towards the end it got serious. In the beginning it was more like muscle burn and I couldn't push through for example 50 k2e's. That was impossible. That caused me to have rest periods and breathing was well under control throughout the first 15 minutes.



This stuff is incredible. Each event from the 2009 Crossfit Games. The year our very own Mikko Salo dominated the Games. Crossfit HQ has posted each individual event for both men and women on their Youtube channel. Probably the best way to spend a weekend, enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment