Thursday, December 18, 2014

Thursday 18.12: Ring skills

Thursday. Ring skills.

Originally this day was scheduled to be some sort of rest day or active rest day. Anyway, light for sure. It's been an eternity since I've last time played around with rings for real so this day seemed like a great idea. Really enjoyed it. However, the morning was the real highlight of this Thursday. Toni turned 30 and we had a surprise party for him at work. We got him the Games standards Rogue Box for present and from the look of this mister's face I suppose he was satisfied on his present =)



Rings.

  • Muscle-ups
  • Front level progressions
  • Back lever progressions
  • Skin the cat
  • Handstand push-up hold
  • Ring dips

After not touching on rings with the intention of completing muscle-ups it was a bit intimidating to go for it. I seriously had my doubts if I would make any rep after such a long pause. On my first try I went over the rings but then for some reason my right hand slid off my body and I fell uncontrolled to the ground. That must have looked crazy as Pauliina was kind of scared for me. Anyway, I realized it was only a technical error and it was a good thing I took another attempt to get over it. Got 5 single reps without problems after all.

Next element was lever progressions, for both front and back levers. I took quite a few attempts and made it easier by bending one leg instead of keeping both legs straight. This is very challenging stuff and I'm very happy on the way I was able to perform. Haven't done these practically at all before.


Couple of sets of skin the cat for shoulder and core strength, and flexibility in shoulders too. It was a bit scary to try the handstand push-ups on rings. It took me couple of attempts before I got my feet up there but once I got it, it was all natural from then on. Felt comfortable in the bottom position but it was too heavy for me to push myself up. I simply couldn't move at all =) Tough as hell. Finally I took some ring dips with the deepest dip ever. It was great to play with the rings!




No comments:

Post a Comment