Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Tuesday 2.12: Snatch balance, Ohs, Long metcon

Tuesday. Snatch balance 5-5-5-5-5 (max 65kg). Ohs 1-1-1-1 (max PR 85kg). Metcon, 4rds of: 5 deads (120kg), 10 burpees, 15 pull-ups, 20 box, 30 du, 400m run. Time, 22.32.

Great training day for sure! I had plenty of time, no need to be hasty at any moment. That is my kind of training session. I love when it's just me, a barbell and lots of time. Put them together and I'm ready to rock. As I indicated earlier, I was enlightened by Coach Burgener's warm-up drills and today I put a lot of effort on those. It prepared me very well for snatch balance and ohs which brought some good results too. Last part of the training session was a longer metcon with lots of work.



Snatch work.
  • Burgener warm-up drills
  • Snatch balance 5-5-5-5-5 (30, 40, 50, 60, 65kg)
  • Overhead squat 1-1-1-1 (70, 75, 80, PR 85kg)
Coach is the legend, and for a good reason. Better listen to this god of weightlifting. I paid a lot of attention to these warm-up routines with pvc pipe, empty barbell and then also 30kg bar. Only objective for this massive warming up was to prepare my body more effectively than normally. As I progressed to snatch balance I felt that in my body. My body was much more loose which was nothing but great. I've probably never this good in my body regarding snatch related movements. Having bar overhead and going to squat position.


I took sets of 5 reps of snatch balance, starting from 30kg, building up to as heavy as possible because it felt good. Bar fell a little forward on some reps but still I'm very happy on the movement patterns and weights being thrown around. My mobility has taken big steps this autumn and it's finally paying off in snatch work also. I've done 60kg snatch balance some time ago but hitting 5x65kg was beyond my comprehension.

Due to that I decided to take couple of overhead squat singles. Ascending 5kg by the rep, all the way to a new personal record of 85kg. Previous one was 80kg, done at spring time this year. I'll take this with pleasure! Got to work on that snatch grip push press / push jerk to get the bar more easily overhead. Going for split jerk was kind of awkward, it was more shaky than pressing the barbell. I need to be able to press / jerk the bar without split.

Recap of barbell action


Metcon. Time 22.32
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 5 deadlift, 120kg
  • 10 burpee
  • 15 pull-up
  • 20 box
  • 30 double under
  • 400m run
I wanted to get a longer metcon. I thought of some sort of chipper style stuff but ended up going for a 4-rounder of lots of work. Deadlifts made a comeback, haven't done thos much because there's been so much squatting. I find it difficult to go for both. This was a yack type of workout. Lot of grinding. I was able to smash it unbroken each round. What was the toughest? Surprisingly maybe box jumps. My core is sore from yesterday's toes-to-bar / pistol fiesta and on the box jumps I felt it.

I thought pull-ups would have been the most bad ass element of this one. They were but still all the way manageable. Running was also tough, especially on the last 2 rounds. It was great to have my fingers on deadlift after a while. Plus burpees are always a pleasure =) Great training session, this brought to mind whether I should dedicate some days on pure oly work. By focusing more on light work and technique early in the session would loosen joints up better and the results of the barbell work would generate greater results. Let's see how it turns out.

Recap of metcon





No comments:

Post a Comment