Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Tuesday 9.12: Front squat, 7min amrap

Tuesday. Strength, front squat 5x7 (100kg). Metcon, 7min amrap, 3-3, 6-6, 9-9… of: front squat (60kg), burpee. Result, 96 reps.

Squats all the way. That equals to a great training day. Front squats for starters and a 7min amrap together with Toni. Nice combo of squats and burpees. No wonder my legs were burning. Toni came to his roots at Haaga gym to refresh memories from 2 years ago. That's always a treat. He took some complex work of front squats and split jerks. We had the same time frame on the metcon but he changed the movements to front squats and kb snatches.

Shane Dorian


Strength.
  • Front squat 5x7 (across at 100kg)
Continuing to focus on front squats and feeling good about it. Building volume, last time it was 4x9, now it was 5 sets of 7 reps, weight increased 10kg, to a total of 100kg. This weight is around 75% of my 1 rep max. Doing 7 reps was not light but it was something I was able to handle pretty well. I took the first reps of (4-5) each set touch'n'go style without stopping on top to breath.

Then on the last 2-3 reps I had to stop and reset before finishing the sets. There was no doubt in my mind at any point of the strength portion I would hit the sets as written. On the last reps my elbows fell down a bit, and I heard Toni yelling me to lift 'em up. I'm happy with the performance today.


Sam


Metcon. Result, 96 reps (6 squats on the round of 18's)
  • 7min amrap
  • 3-3, 6-6, 9-9… of:
  • Front squat, 60kg
  • Burpee
As if I didn't get enough pressure on lower body, I wrote this one on the spot. This style of workout is awesome. That means a couplet where you start at 3 reps, then every round add 3 more reps, and finish as many reps as possible in a certain time frame. For a couplet, 7 minutes is usually pretty good. You can throw pretty much whatever but it's definitely worth a good breathing if you mix barbell and bodyweight stuff. If you want to have a triplet, maybe 12 minutes is more suitable.

Toni hurried me to start quite soon after the strength as he had already finished his barbell work. No prob. At first we were thinking about hitting it with 80kg but the nature of the workout would not have been what I was looking for. Goal was to keep on moving constantly. With 80kg that would have been a different game.

Mobility, mobility

I didn't gas in the beginning. Took my triples with steady pace, same with the sixes. I went unbroken with the squats all the way up to the round of 12 reps. I thought I would do it through the round of 9's (and scared I would have to break that up too to not kill my legs) but didn't see it coming that the bar wouldn't go down for this long. So basically the round of 15's was the only one where I put the bar on the rack for a while after 10 reps, then finished the last 5 reps.

Burpees went ub all the way, and they were not as bad was I was preparing mentally. This was all about front squats. My heart beat skyrocketed on the burpees but my strength was in test on the squats. I was very happy on how my body kept moving even in the pain cave. Got 6 squats on the round of 18's before the time cap rang. It definitely gave a boost that Toni hit his own 7min couplet of front squats and kb snatches at the same time. Good to have that fella at the "box".



No comments:

Post a Comment