Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Wednesday 17.12: Push jerk, Pull-ups

Wednesday. Technique, push jerk (50-70kg). Metcon, 10-1 push jerk (50kg), 2-20 t2b. Time, 13.28. Mobility.

I had plenty of time to hassle in the morning. I dropped Pauliina to work earlier than normally, around 8 o'clock. This was the perfect opportunity to hang around for hours at the Box and torture my body. However, this human being was already hammered pretty bad so I took plenty of time for mobility in the beginning. That was a good call because everything felt kind of sore. That really helped.



Technique.
  • Push jerk 5x40, 50, 60, 70, 60kg
  • Push jerk with a pause 4x60, 60, 60kg
I didn't put the sets written anywhere so this comes from memory. This was pretty close at least. Kept the weights light for a good purpose. I simply wasn't up to heavy lifting today. Instead, I tried to concentrate in moving the barbell faster. Not sure how perfectly I succeeded. But one thing is for sure. I should extend my hips more effectively. That was my focus point but it wasn't easy. You can see it from the clip, especially from the slo-mo version.

First there were normal push jerks with weights around 50kg and 70kg, light stuff but it was good for today. Then I thought about doing same movement with a pause in the dip position. Both elements felt alright today. Shoulders were a bit tight and my lats were tight too due to the pull-ups from Monday's hero workout Josh. I did foam roll them in the warm-up but couldn't quite get them to relax.


James Hobart rocking it back in 2011 =) Box jump standards have evolved a bit from those days


Metcon. Time, 13.28
  • 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 push jerk, 50kg
  • 2-4-6-8-10-12-14-16-18-20, toes-to-bar
This was a modification of "Jake the Snake" which was first introduced on Ben Bergeron's site competitorstraining.com. That was 70kg jerks and t2b's were actually pull-ups. Looked like nasty stuff when he crushed it. That stayed in my memory and this was some sort of variation of it. Because my body wasn't fresh I came down to 50kg on the jerks which turned out to be too light. The only tough rounds were rounds 9 and 8 reps. First one was, well the first one, so it was easy. And from 7 reps on it wasn't that many jerks to be done anyway.

It was somewhat surprising those t2b's were as challenging as they were. There was a total of 110 toes-to-bar and 55 jerks. I got the core element done unbroken up to the round of 10 reps. 12's were 8-4. From then on it was a misery. 14's were 6-4-4. Next one 4-3-3 and then mostly doubles. In the latest rounds there were singles among as well. It was just too much to handle linking bigger sets. But luckily dropping down from the pull-up bar is not an issue time wise because you can go back pretty quickly.

This was okay for a workout but as a bad ass metcon it left me a lot of good breathing in the tank. Because of all those drops from pull-up bar it didn't burn my lungs that much. Breathing was under control all the way but core was in flames at around 12 t2b's on.


Recap


Mobility.
  • Foam rolling
  • Resistance band
  • Lacrosse ball
  • Sots press
I really needed time for this. This was a clear focus area this Wednesday. In the beginning and in the end, lots of mobility work to release tensions in my body. Foam roll is classic stuff, everyday material currently. I did different styles of stretching for lower and upper body with the resistance band. It's been long time since I used lacrosse ball to target the painful spots in upper back so today was time to get back on track with that. Sots press with a barbell is also something I've paid attention to lately. Not 20kg bar but pvc pipe and then we also have a small bar that weighs about 5-10kg. It's very encouraging to realize I'm able to do that movement in general, even with the lightweight stick. Before Smolov that was not possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment