Monday, February 16, 2015

Monday 16.2: Squat, 2 x 5min amraps

Monday. Back squat triples (max 132.5kg). Metcon, 5min amrap of: 7 thrusters (40kg), 7 pull-ups. Result, 84 reps. Metcon, 5min amrap of: 5 hspu, 10 box. Result, 105 reps.

Squats all the way. It was great to have those back in the system. After strength I got two metcons with short intervals. The first one was inspired by "Monday Monster Mash", and the other now was just another creation for fun. It was sick to get those hspu's back in the game!



Strength.
  • Back squat triples
  • Weights 90, 110, 120, 130, 132.5, 130, 130kg
Only thing I had in my notes for this part was "back squat". Didn't have a good plan to enter the squat rack. So I went on by feeling and ended up doing triples in the end. It was okay session, and felt good to have heavy triples done. These were about 86% on my max load. Those sets at around 130kg were tough but doable. If I had a training partner, I might have gone heavier. But for today's mental strength this was enough for me.


Beautiful things happening here



Metcon. Result, 84 reps (6 rounds)
  • 5min amrap of:
  • 7 thruster, 40kg
  • 7 pull-ups
Pat Sherwood's legendary Monday Monster Mash looked pretty good in today's post. Total of 5x5min amraps with 5min rest in-between. The first one looks Fran-ish and the second one like Diane. Third one would be close to Elizabeth had the du's been ring dips. Anyway, this is something worth thinking about when a longer workout is at hand. But for today this was way too long for me because there had to be squats in the beginning.

I cherry picked the first one of thrusters and pull-ups, 7 reps in both stations for a total of 5 minutes. I did them unbroken, those amounts were manageable. Thrusters were probably even easier than the pull-ups. Especially as I didn't wanna break these sets at all. Hmm, it's worth a shot how it would have turned out had I grabbed the barbell right away and then cut the pull-ups in pieces. Today's result was exactly 6 rounds.



Metcon. Result, 105 reps (7 rounds)
  • 5min amrap of:
  • 5 handstand push-up
  • 10 box jump
Following the same ideology I came up with this couplet of hspu's and box jumps. Haven't been able to do handstand push-ups in a while so this was a big victory. Hopefully it's getting better and better day by day, and it would allow be to do cleans and hspu's regularly soon enough. Now it's more like day on day off but I'm optimistic.



This metcon was rough. My first thought on hspu's was that I couldn't do too many of those, just to give my wrist a break. But 5 reps would be something that's easy to do. In the beginning it felt like it's too little and it's all about box jumps. Well, it was, but those hspu's got a little spicier too. But this was a lot about how efficiently I can do box jumps. Round times were very evenly distributed. It took me about 40-46 seconds to finish one round.




No comments:

Post a Comment