Monday, February 9, 2015

Monday 9.2: Snatch balance, 8min amrap

Monday. Emom x 8min: 1 power snatch + 3 snatch balance @ 50kg. Metcon, 8min amrap of: 6 ohs, 16 box. Result, 7rds.

Great to be back in the game! If there was enough time, I would have hit back squats too but today it was mostly snatch work. It was success all the way, and my body felt good in this session. Emom snatch balances and ohs / box jump metcon worked perfectly together.




Snatch work.
  • Every minute on the minute, for 8min:
  • 1 power snatch + 3 snatch balance @ 50kg
At first this was supposed to be taken from rack and focus purely on the snatch balances. However, there were some guys doing their share of squatting so that left me with no choice but to take the barbell from the floor. No prob there, it was actually a good call as it was a great chance to practice the quick turnover and keeping the barbell close to torso.

The main focus was still on the snatch balance and quick drop under the bar. Don't know what has happened but it felt very natural and smooth all the way. And the weight felt light too. My armpits were facing forward, the support was strong and steady on shoulders, plus my hips were as mobile as they genuinely can be. It it freaking awesome to see that all this crossfit stuff really makes me better as a human being. I'm feeling much more flexible, strong and agile than before crossfit. And the past year has been mind blowing in this sense.

So I hit the very bottom position of snatch on these snatch balances. I'm gonna keep on putting effort in the full range of motion because that's pretty much the key to good mobility. And keep grinding more overhead squats, snatch balances, squat snatches to get better in these extreme positions.




Metcon. Result, 7 rounds
  • 8min amrap of:
  • 6 overhead squat, 40kg
  • 12 box jump
Needed to get something quick in my system. This was the perfect solution! Tough on lower body, no doubt. There's always the question whether to put on nanos or weightlifting shoes =) I get better support from weightlifting shoes but then again you can't perform any kind of jumps with those. And I'd like to put nanos on every time in a metcon anyway. Today's big question was the combo of overhead squats and box jumps. Obviously nanos but the issue is that ohs is quite a challenge mobility-wise for me due to some tightness in ankles. It's very good to practice those so of course it was nanos.

I'm very happy I can also do overhead squats without my weightlifting shoes. It's not ideal but I can hit it below parallel for sure. This workout was short and thus more intense of course. Both elements brought a lot of burden for quads and hamstrings, and breathing of course. In the last round I asked my training partner to check out the timer but he accidentally reset the timer on the same second as time ran out. So I'm not exactly sure how many rounds I got in this one. Fact is that the first round was 60 seconds so my best guess is my result was 7 rounds. I just got the 12th jump as time cap was full. And I had solid round times so it must have been 7 rounds, totaling 42 overhead squats and 84 boxes.




No comments:

Post a Comment