Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Tuesday 24.2: Snatch emom, 20min amrap

Tuesday. Snatch emom singles (max PR 70kg). Metcon, 20min amrap of: 5 power clean (70kg), 10 hspu, 15 pull-ups, 20 box. Result, 286 reps.

The work is paying off! Today I hit a huge PR on the snatch. Okay huge 2.5kg jump =) But it's been ages since going this heavy and the assisting work earlier this year has made their share in this result. I had couple of crossfit pals in the gym too so the atmosphere was legit. The metcon afterwards was just cruel, 20 minutes of pain, cool.

Beautiful


Snatch.
  • Every minute on the minute
  • Singles, start at 50kg, add 2.5kg every minute
  • 50, 52.5, 55, 57.5, 60, 62.5, 65, 67.5, PR 70kg
We alternated our emom sets with Toni who smashed some back squat 4's every minute. Good work, probably the best squats I've seen from this guy. Hitting those reps consistently to the rock bottom position. Good job mister. It's been a decade since I went to heavy weights on snatches. There's been quite a number of sessions regarding overhead squats, ohs with pause, snatch balance, sotts press and squat snatch. I've gained confidence on the movement.

Today I didn't have this big weights in mind for sure. The plan was to hit singles starting from 50kg, add 2.5kg per round, hit 5 reps, then start over again. That way the loads would have stayed between 50-60kg. Already those were a bit intimidating beforehand.

However, as I started lifting, the bar felt lighter than normally and I was able to hit the squat position nicely. Plus there was only 1 miss in the entire workout. That happened at 57.5kg. It was surprising that I missed it because I pulled with "too much" power and it went behind me. Don't know how you pull it too fiercely but anyway that was a good boost on confidence so as I approached the bar again to get it up, I knew it would. And it did.

At this point I decided to just keep on going, taking couple of reps and see how it feels like. At 65kg it started to seem like there was potential to share my old record or even break it. I didn't say anything to Toni, just kept it to myself and did the lifts when it was time to do the work. It sure was a blast to get the last rep done! As I held the bar overhead, I had to play around a bit. Asked Toni "do you know what this is" while having the bar up. He guessed right.




Metcon. Result, 286 reps (5 rounds + 6 box jumps)
  • 20min amrap of:
  • 5 power clean, 70kg
  • 10 handstand push-up
  • 15 pull-up
  • 20 box jump
What I wanted to have today was hspu's and pull-ups. Most definitely pull-ups. The combination of these elements was perfect. One barbell movement and three bodyweight elements. I almost got through 6 full rounds, only 14 box jumps fell short of that. Power cleans went unbroken. They got tougher by the round and heart beat got higher each time I grabbed the barbell.

Hspu's were also unbroken, "tng" too. Didn't rest at any stage of the movement. First 3 rounds were okay, then I had to push it more to get the reps done as planned. I won't say they weren't challenging in the last rounds.




Prior to the workout I thought pull-ups would turn out to be nightmarish, and they were the toughest part of this metcon. Had to break them down. First round was ub but then the following rounds were 10-5, and two rounds in the middle were 8-4-3. I could have done 2-3 rounds unbroken but that would have dated up my energy too much so I figured it's smarter to drop down and finish the sets differently.

Don't know if it was a surprise or not but box jumps were cruel. Of course they should hurt as there were 20 reps in a row. But still it shouldn't be an issue. First 10 reps were easy, then 11-15 were ok and the last reps were just nasty. Especially in the latter rounds. All these movements got ugly as time went by. It was gross already at 8-9 minutes, so I was just lucky to have Jasper to talk me up in the middle of the workout! Awesome training day to say the least, PR in snatch, tough metcon and great training partners!



No comments:

Post a Comment