Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Tuesday 10.3: Snatch, Squat, 7min amrap

Tuesday. Snatch (up to 60kg). Emom x 10min: 2 back squat @ 125kg. Metcon, 7min amrap of: 7 db snatch right hand (25kg), 7 db snatch left hand (25kg), 7 burpee. Result, 126 reps (6rds).

Back to snatches. A good number of repetitions for this highly skilled movement, then emom squats with rather heavy weights for me. Third part of the session included a short and intense workout consisting of dumbbell snatches and burpees, what a combo!



Snatch.
  • Squat snatch
  • 3 x 5 reps @ 40kg
  • 3 x 4 reps @ 45kg
  • 3 x 3 reps @ 50kg
  • 3 x 2 reps @ 55kg
  • 3 x 1 rep @ 60kg
Originally I planned this as emom work for 15 minutes. I had the pleasure of having Toni as my training partner as he was pursuing heavy squats. At times I was spotting him so basically I did each set unbroken and each weight as emom for 3 minutes. That means with a running clock I performed 5 reps @ 40kg for a total of 3 minutes. Then had a pause, then hit another 3min emom at 45kg and so on.

At 40kg and 45kg the bar wasn't perfectly in control. Well, okay, let's be honest, it wasn't at anytime =) I still have a long journey of snatches and oly work to be done. 50kg snatches were the best succeeded lifts after the lighter ones. I was hurrying these reps touch'n'go without stopping between reps. Toni suggested me to slow down and reset at high hang, and that really felt like it made a difference on how my form was able to hold on.

And the snatches were no doubt full snatches, that pleases me tremendously. Not being shallow on depth but hitting it to the bottom means big gains in the long run. The last set of snatches didn't go well. First rep was a miss, the second one was a power snatch, and the last was a miss again. Real shitty, even though the previous 12 sets were manageable.


'
Squat.
  • Every minute on the minute, for 10 minutes
  • 2 back squat @ 125kg
At this point Toni had to leave after his squats were done. The guy was doing it big time and almost hitting PR numbers, good grind. My version of the squats was every minute on the minute stuff. This was the heaviest I've done as emom doubles. And those started to get heavy for sure. Still, there was no doubt I was gonna hit all of them without misses.

Lately I've done more and more squats in emom style and I like it, really good way to keep the motor running during squats. No big waiting between sets. Okay the weights gotta be a bit lighter but these improve the muscle endurance for sure as the recovery gets shorter. Plus, this is a good time saver when in a hurry, and I don't usually have hours to be spent at the gym (even though I'd like to haha). I'm really happy on begin able to complete these lifts at 125kg.



Metcon. Result, 126 reps (6 rounds)
  • 7min amrap of:
  • 7 dumbbell snatch, right hand (25kg)
  • 7 dumbbell snatch, left hand (25kg)
  • 7 burpee
Okay, my lady was about to hit her last 7min amrap of the day so I came up with this idea. I had couple of other 7min amraps in storage but this jumped up: snatches and burpees. Quite a combination to get the heart rate up, and to get a good muscle burn.

I went to select the dumbbell's weight and ended up pulling a 25kg db. That was pretty good actually, these were unbroken each round but they hurt a lot towards the end. Or actually already on the 3rd round it was bad ass stuff. Snatches always make the heart pump lots of blood to the body and heart rate skyrocket just like that. This was no different to normal. I was exhausted after the metcon.


And burpees didn't help at all. Those started to burn my arms too. Not because there were so many burpees (vice versa) but the combo of snatches and burpees had a cost. Those burpees were genius part of this workout. Not too many of them so that I could keep on bouncing back and forth but still they added a bit to this misery. Round times were close to 1:15 for all but the first and last round which were a little less than a minute. In the beginning it was all fresh but that feeling slipped away on the second round. And on the last round I noticed there's only a minute left on the clock so I had to cut the transitions to minimum and just keep on moving. That worked, and the clock had only one second left after 6 rounds.







No comments:

Post a Comment