Friday, April 17, 2015

Friday 17.4: Squats, Deadlift, Metcon

Friday. Strength, back squat 4x8 across (105kg). Deadlift, 5x5, climbing (max 180kg). Metcon, 5rds of: 5 power clean (60kg), 10 hspu, 15 box. Time, 9.55. Cashout, 50 pull-ups.

Last fall I didn't used to do deadlifts pretty much at all. The reason was I squatted a lot, and I felt heavy deadlifts didn't suit that equation. My body was wrecked after each deadlift session which didn't allow me to squat. This year I've taken deadlifts back in action and I've loved every session! Today was Friday pulls again, and this was a greatly anticipated training session. Back squats, pull-ups and metcon were included as well.


Posterior chain.

  • Back squat 4x8 across (105kg)
  • Deadlift 5x5 climbing (120, 140, 160, 170, 180kg)

Squats were 70% of max squat, smashing 4 sets of 8 reps with the same load. These were not supposed to be "I'm seeing starts after each set" type of work but still high rep sets are always a bit uncomfortable. This reminded me a bit of Smolov that I did somewhere around September - November 2014. That was a lot of squatting. Almost makes me go back to that system to get more strength in my legs. That was 4x9's, 5x7's, 7x5's and 10x3's, every week the loads got bigger and bigger.


My strategy was to nail as many reps as possible in touch'n'go style in each set to finish it faster. Basically it was either 4 or 5 reps in a row, then a pause at the top between the remaining reps. This felt good. It put a good kind of pressure on my lower body. This is what these trunks need.

Friday pulls match very well after squats. Posterior chain is already activated so just grab the bar and pull. Preferably heavy. Today it was all 5's, climbing up after each set. This was a good session. My hamstrings and back felt strong. Friday has lately been the day when deadlifts come in to play. It's been heavy doubles, triples, emoms, and high rep sets too. Hero wod Zimmerman was also an interesting one earlier this spring.

Today's focus was building up to a heavy set of 5 reps. This heavy pulling is kinda awkward. My hammies and back can take the load. My hands are the ones that start bailing on me. Feels like my fingers and palms are taking the biggest hit. It's like the bar is cutting my fingers off like a sharp steel. Better keep those calluses off on days like this. Otherwise there's gonna be a big tear or two. Guess I have these sissy palms =) But the weight felt great!

Back squats


Metcon. Time, 9.55

  • 5 rounds of:
  • 5 power clean, 60kg
  • 10 handstand push-up
  • 15 box

Great wod! My body was already smashed on the strength part so maybe my pacing wasn't a full hundred percent effort but this body kept moving consistently, and I'm happy on my performance. Power cleans were light as such but it felt heavier after all the work being done. I was wondering between 60 and 70 kilos, this was definitely better this time.

Handstand push-ups went unbroken for first 4 rounds. On the last one I tried to hurry myself on the wall after cleans and that kind of backfired. Had to come off the wall after 5 reps, and then doubles and a singles to the end. Shoulders were mostly hurt on this workout. They just lost the power. Box jumps felt good. They kept the intensity and heart beat high throughout the 10 minutes that this workout continued.

Deadlifts


Cashout.

  • 50 pull-ups

Was supposed to do pull-ups today in the metcon but after deadlifts it didn't feel tempting to grab anything. But I got a bad conscious so before heading to shower I did 50 pull-ups in emom in emom style, 10 reps every minute, for 5 minutes, totaling 50 reps.




No comments:

Post a Comment