Saturday, May 9, 2015

Saturday 9.5: Mu's, Press, Hspu, Hang clean

Saturday. Gymnastics, emom x 10min: 2 mu's. Strength, strict press (up to 3x62kg). Metcon, 8min amrap of: 8 hspu, 8 hang power clean (50kg). Result, 97 reps.

Finally back in action! Okay I still had to take a magic pill for these hip flexors and that's also the reason why I took it a bit easier on the legs but it sure made good to enter the gym and start working out. Muscle-ups need to be honed a lot, so today was an emom training. Then some strict presses and metcon of hspu's and cleans.


Gymnastics.
  • Every minute on the minute for 10 minutes:
  • 2 ring muscle-ups
This felt good for real. Doing muscle-ups is not intimidating anymore. It doesn't matter if it's ring or bar mu's, I'm feeling confident and strong. Of course they are not perfect and the unbroken sets are not huge but as I look in the rear mirror I'm very proud how these have turned out. Today's goal was to increase the endurance of muscle-ups. Doing a unbroken set of 2 reps every minute for 10 minutes.



Yes, I can do a double, no problem but I haven't really tested how it feels doing them every minute for a certain period of time. This could be a good progression to build up the number of repetitions per set. Go figure. I'm also happy my feet are much more together than they used to be back in the days. Thus, it feels more controlled.

Muscle-ups

Strength.
  • Shoulder press
  • 5x40, 5x50, 5x55, 3x60, 3x62, 3x62kg
Putting stuff overhead is awesome. I'd prefer a bit of a heavier barbell but I saved my hip flexors by doing these presses as strict or shoulder press, how you wanna call it. Couple of 5's and then triples for a heavy load. This was a good result for me doing a triple at +60kg. Don't know what my max triple would be but I guess this was the first time doing 3 reps at over 60 kilos. Press is not one of my strengths I suppose.


You'll see the lifts below in the video recap

Press recap


Metcon. Result, 97 reps (6 rounds + 1 hspu)
  • 8min amrap of:
  • 8 handstand push-ups
  • 8 hang power clean, 50kg
I had to think about for a while before coming up with taxing movements that would let my lower body chill in the same time. Hspu's were self evident already yesterday but I didn't think this beforehand that much because I had to kind of look how my body would feel like and what movements it would allow me to do. Eventually cleans paired up with hspu's and definitely as hang power cleans. Weight was light but it was actually good for this metcon because those handstand push-ups started to wear my shoulders down.



I got hspu's unbroken for couple of rounds, then had to start breaking them down after 4-5 reps. Shoulders really felt the damage on this one, very good burn up there. Cleans weren't that bad but I like the fact it was 50kg instead of a heavier bar. The length of the workout wasn't that long so if the bar was 60kg or more it would have slowed me down quite a bit and the purpose of this wod was to go faster.

Metcon

The workouts have been released for the upcoming Crossfit Regionals. It's gonna be a spectacular weekend of working out among the fittest of the fittest. Some day it would be awesome to be on the spot cheering for our idols!





No comments:

Post a Comment