Sunday, June 7, 2015

Saturday 6.6: Push press, Long emom, Sled, Handstand + Rope

Saturday. AM: Push press 5-5-5-3-3-3 (max 80kg). Every 5:00, for 35min, perform 20 cal row, 30 du, 10 pull-ups, 20m sled push (110kg). Accessory, sled pull standing (50kg). Skills, handstand practice. PM: Shoveling for couple of hours. Skills, rope climbs.

Saturday was a busy day! In the morning I drove Pauliina and her friends around the city because there was another bachelorette's party taking place. Once I came back I ate second breakfast and went to the gym to workout for about 2 hours. Then it was time to get away from home because the entourage was about land at our house. So I packed my stuff and went overnight to the in-laws' place. There was a lot of shoveling waiting for me and Kari. The rainwater drainage had to be planted properly so it took couple of hours. Lots of eating took place of course and finally Champions League Final came on TV late in the evening so it was obviously gonna be a soccer night.



Strength.

  • Push press 5-5-5-3-3-3 (70, 72, 75, 78, 79, 80kg)

Couple of sets push press. These turned out to be heavy. Not the biggest loads in the history of mankind but for me they were heavy. Especially the 5x75, and those triples pretty much all the way. I was still happy on making them happen. I've had some nagging pain in my elbows lately so being able to do these was great.

Saturday recap


Workout.

  • Every 5:00, for 35 minutes, perform the following:
  • 20 cal row
  • 30 double under
  • 10 pull-up
  • 20 meter sled push, 110kg (+ sled)

Got this from my bro. It was initially 20 cal on an assault bike but I've never even seen one live so that was not gonna happen =) Subbed it to rowing and went for 20 calories anyway. Used damper setting at 8 in the beginning and raised it to 9 at some point. Had some misses on the double unders but in general those were better than last time I jumped around.

Pull-ups for 10 reps is not bad, right. When doing this in a sprint style interval work, they got surprisingly tough. Went unbroken in all sets though. That was not the issue but they started to fatigue my body too.

Sled was a newcomer in a metcon. The times I have used sled, it's been some sort of strength or accessory work at the end of a workout. But mixing it in to a metcon was a cool element! That really ate my legs in pretty much each round, except for the maybe first 2 ones. These rounds took me about 2:30 to finish so it was about 1:1 work:recovery ratio. Tough wod, and got tougher each round.



Sled.

  • Sled pulls, standing
This was something new cool stuff I saw someone do just one day earlier. It was the first time doing this. The goal was to increase pulling power and hoping to transfer that finally to cleans, snatches, pull-ups, muscle-ups etc. You'll see from the video how it worked out. Right side seemed a lot stronger than the left one, that's for sure.



Skills.
  • Handstand

Took some handstand practice, and on my first attempts there was one guy giving some coaching tips to me. We started talking and it turned out back in the days he had been on the national gymnastics team in Finland so he it's quite obvious he had phenomenal body control skills. He taught me on handstand so I hope patience and good practice will take me further on this skill.



Outdoors.

  • Shoveling for hours
  • Rope climbs

In the afternoon we worked our asses off in Klaukkala. This was a fun outdoor workout, let's call it real life crossfit. Shovel was swinging a lot with Kari, and we finally achieved what we were aiming for. Finished the work on Sunday morning. In the evening I had time to attack the rope climbs shortly before locking my eyes on the Juventus - FC Barcelona match on TV.


Here is one rope climb. I've tried different styles of foot locks on the rope but they seem more challenging than this one I'm using currently.

Rope climb



2 comments: