Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Tuesday 2.6: Back squat, Clean, Dips, Handstand

Tuesday. Strength, back squat 7x3 (max 135kg). Metcon, 15-10-5 power clean (70kg), 30-20-10 ring dips. Time, 7.53. Handstand. Mobility.

On Tuesday I had plenty of time to get some fitness worked up. Yesterday's front squats changed to back squats. Built up to heavy sets of squatting, and felt proud of that. Metcon was one of my brother's creations, very good version of Elizabeth. In the end I took couple of sets handstand training, and mobility work plus flushed legs by rowing for a while.



Strength.
  • Back squat triples (110, 120, 125, 130, 133, 135kg, and two reps @ 137kg)
This was a lot of fun! Squatting feels good at the moment. It gets heavy at around 130kg but it comes up pretty solidly. Depending on the day, sometimes lighter, sometimes heavier. Today my max set for a triple was 135 kilos. Last set was at 137kg. It turned out to be a double as the second rep was heavy as a ton of iron was on my back. There was not going to be a triple this time. I was still very happy on completing these squats.

Squat recap

Metcon. Time, 7.53
  • 15-10-5 clean, 70kg
  • 30-20-10 ring dips
Benchmark workout Elizabeth is 21-15-9 of the same movements with the only difference being the weight. It's 60kg. Rep scheme was naturally different as there were 30 semi-heavy cleans and 60 ring dips. Cleans were much more pleasant compared to ring dips. Dips are not in my wheelhouse so it was a good choice to do them in a workout like this. Those are high rep sets to me.

Cleans were no issue, did them in power cleans. It was something like 5-5-3-2 in the beginning, then on the second round it was something like 4's, 3's, and 2's. Similar probably on the last round, last 3 reps were singles. But the thing was that when I dropped the barbell, I didn't go and walk around but took couple of breaths and picked the bar up again.

It was the dips that burned me. Or more like my triceps. I always do them strict. Don't even know how to use momentum on these. I did these mostly in sets of 5 reps in the first round. Second round was 4's and 3's, and last one was just trying to do them as quickly as possible in small sets. Good wod for sure!



Cool down.
  • Row 1.000m
  • Handstand
  • Mobility
After getting my breath back again I sat on the rower and kept a slow pace, at around 2:00 for one kilometer, main focus was to just get some fluids running in my body. Slow heart rate movement. Then couple of sets handstand and finally mobility. I've found it smart to sit in overhead squat's bottom position with a stick or empty barbell overhead. Sitting in the hole for 20-30 seconds at a time must improve mobility in hips, back and shoulders.



No comments:

Post a Comment