Saturday, July 25, 2015

Friday 24.7: Swim, Run + Clean emom & Bear complex

Friday. AM: Run 2k, swim 1k, run 2k. PM: Emom x 10min: Odd min, power clean, front squat, squat clean. Even min, pause at knee, pause at hips, then clean pull. Metcon, bear complex @ 40kg. Time, 11.30.

Different start to the day. Swimming in Italy was great and I got inspired to hit the Helsinki swimming stadium this morning. It's my last day on a holiday so it seemed like a perfect opportunity to go there. In the afternoon Toni invited me to visit his affiliate in Vantaa. It was all about barbell work.



Conditioning.
  • Run 2.000m
  • Swim 1.000m
  • Run 2.000m
The stadium is a bit more than 2k away from our house. I took a back bag, put my stuff inside, and went running. Took 15 minutes to get there. That means it was a jog obviously. Went to study this place. It was a 50m pool with a bunch of lanes. I took the slow one because I'm definitely not a fish when you throw me in water. Never swam that much when I was a little kiddo so there are some lack of skills.



Swam for 500 meters at first, that's 10 pool lengths in total. Then a break, and another 500 meters. It was a good battle for me. Really felt it in my lats. It was all breast strokes through that kilometer. At times my right fingers started to tingle. Go figure. But it was a lot of fun, and it was a good morning workout for me!



Cleans.

  • Every minute on the minute x 10 minutes
  • Odd minutes, power clean, front squat (hold 2sec in bottom), squat clean (hold 2sec in bottom)
  • Even minutes, halt at knee for 4sec, halt at hips for 4sec, then clean pull
  • Barbell at 80kg

These workouts were 100% programmed by the affiliate itself. Had no word whatsoever in these. Toni invited me to join him, and I've never said no to a workout. This was good accessory style workout for clean. The difference to regular clean training was the obligatory pause in the bottom position. This was supposed to be 75% of 1RM so I figured 80kg would be fine. Toni went with the same weights.

Clean emom


Bear complex. Time, 11.30

  • Without dropping the bar, complete the following sequence for 7 times. That constitutes 1 rep
  • Power clean + front squat + push press + back squat + push press (=1 rep)
  • Once you've completed the sequence for 7 reps, drop the bar. That is 1 round
  • Repeat for a total of 5 rounds
  • Time cap 14 minutes
  • Time, 11.30 @ 40kg

This is a cruel workout. Forearms were killing me. Weight is light but not for long. It's that forearm burn that gets to me. Never has 40 kilos felt this cruel in my life. I just wanted to finish under the time cap. Realized after 3 rounds that there's plenty of time so I kept longer breaks before rounds 4 and 5. Normally this workout is not for time but they had to put a time cap so their daily schedule would stay in the plan.

Bear


Good workout, and got a high heart beat too! As we can see from the video, Toni still has some issues with counting reps hehe. He worked well with the barbell for the entire day for sure though!


Is he the next champ?




No comments:

Post a Comment