Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Wednesday 29.7: Squats, "2007"

Wednesday. Back squat 5x7 (110kg). Metcon, 1.000m row, then 5rds of: 7 jerk (60kg), 15 pull-ups. Time, 13.51.

Another squat day for this week. My hamstring are pretty tight from Monday's session. Not only because of squats but mostly due to Diane. Lots of quick deadlifts and probably with rather straight legs so that created a good tension in the hammies. Feels good =) Anyway, more squats, then jerks and pull-ups for metcon.

First round includes rowing


Smolov.
  • Back squat 5x7 (110kg)
This time the reps came down, sets and weights went up. This weight was very manageable. Definitely felt nasty but I had a good feeling on smashing these sets. My plan was to hit couple of touch'n'go reps, then pause, get more breath, inhale and continue the set. It turned out to be 4 reps in a row, then singles to finish it. Got a good burn on my legs every set.

Another thing I want to focus on these sets is to hit the bottom of my deepest squat in every rep. I still remember how good this Smolov program made to my mobility when I went through it about a year ago. It really opened up my hips. Being under a shitload of weight every other day and letting the body drop naturally to its lowest point really forced the hips to open up. That's what I'm looking as one of the biggest benefits of this program.



Metcon. Time, 13.51. Compare to 14.10.2014
  • 1.000m row, then
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 7 push jerk, 60kg
  • 15 pull-ups
Okay, I had a lot of mixed feelings. I've done this one once before and remember it was quite a burner on upper body. Actually I remember that being one bad misery of a workout hehe. I approached this workout with calmness. Because this was gonna hurt I probably took a notch down in vain. Should have attacked it with anger.

My time this time was slower than last time. Okay, my pull-ups are not on the same level as they were previously. Those were the biggest difference for sure. Last time I didn't have the rowing element there. that obviously took couple of minutes.



I went unbroken on the jerks. Those were not the thing. Last 2 reps on the latest sets burned my legs but shoulders stayed fine all the way. On pull-ups I was way too conservative. I had a plan. Usually I go by feeling, on about 98% of the workouts. Today I decided to play it 5-5-5 with short breaks. I followed this one from the very first set (I think), and jumped quite fast back on the pull-up bar. That was the whole idea. There's no point in resting too much and do 5's.

I guess the time was anyway consumed in the transitions and in the latest rounds on the pull-up bar breaks. I felt good after the workout but disappointed when I realized what I had hit last time. My muscles were sore post-wod but breathing was rather well under control. This is a great workout, and I'm sure gonna repeat it some day just to get my revenge. That time I'm gonna give it my all. Plus, I'm gonna have better pull-ups then!



No comments:

Post a Comment