Monday, August 17, 2015

Monday 17.8: Hspu emom, Rowing Helen

Monday. Emom x 5min: 8 hspu. Rowing Helen. Time, 9.55.

Day after Smolov. Great. My legs are quite tired to be honest but I loved to hit a regular training session. Some bodyweight skills in the beginning, and then a benchmark workout as a rowing version. That worked well for this Monday. Plus I had Pauliina with me doing Helen. That was pretty sick! She kicked Helen's butt big time.



Gymnastics.
  • Every minute on the minute x 5min:
  • 8 handstand push-up
I love this this movement. Great bodyweight element to work on shoulders, triceps and actually the entire body is tense during the reps. Got to be, otherwise it's not going to work well. This was emom style stuff. Complete 8 reps in a minute, then rest for the remainder of the minute. It got spicy pretty soon because of the short recovery, and this was the best I got this time. These are good portions to start a training session in my opinion. Doesn't take much time, and you still get a good bunch of reps in the bank.



Rowing Helen. Time, 9.55. Compare to 29.10.2014
  • 3 rounds of:
  • 400m row
  • 21 kettlebell swing, 20kg
  • 12 pull-up
It turned out I've done this once earlier about a year ago. Venue was different, a bit of a different set-up with more walking to be done around the gym. This place also had only 20kg bell. Okay another option would have been 28kg. Rx'd Helen is 400m run, 21 kb swing at 1.5 pood (=24kg), and 12 pull-ups. That I have done once, as one of the very first crossfit workouts ever, in 2012. Took my breath away big time then.

Today it did also. Maybe a bit of holding back a little. At least breathing-wise. My forearms were were shot from this combination. As rowing version there are three elements where grip is at stake. Rowing, and pull-ups are pulling movements and then kb swings need grip strength as well. The further the workout goes, more challenging the situation with the forearms go.

I completed this workout today in a similar way as last time. The only difference was probably the transitions. Rowing seemed to be the same pace. Sub 1:45 in the first round, and then sub 1:50 on the latter two rounds. Swings were unbroken, pull-ups were broken, don't quite remember the sets but it must have been the transition stages between stations that took my time.




No comments:

Post a Comment