Friday, October 23, 2015

Friday 23.10: Overhead strength, Thruster, K2e, Row

Friday. Overhead singles. Metcon, 5rds of: 10 thruster (40kg), 15 k2e, 20 cal row. Time, 13.20

Morning gym. It actually felt pretty good from the get-go. Strength portion was progression that started about a week ago. Various styles of overhead press or jerk. My right hammy is still recovering so I didn't go all the way to split jerks. Metcon was a great one.



Overhead.
  • Shoulder press 1-1-1 (63kg)
  • Push press 1-1-1 (73kg)
  • Push jerk 1-1-1 (83kg)
Last time the weights were 60-70-80-90 kilos. Today I added 3kg to each movement. Shoulder presses were okay. I took 'em on video and realized on the second rep that I push the barbell too much in front in the beginning. So I tried to fix that for the final rep. It felt better.


Push presses were the easiest one. For some reason they felt shaky in the beginning but got better each rep. Push jerks are the ones I have the most issues. That seems to be some kind of mobility issue. I feel tight when having a close grip with barbell overhead. If I'm doing split jerks, that doesn't bother but in this kind of power position it feels a bit awkward. I think 85kg is the ultimate heaviest I've ever push jerked so these were pretty close.



Metcon.
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 10 thruster, 40kg
  • 15 knees-to-elbows
  • 20 cal row
Thrusters are the king. I used to think if there was only one movement you were able to do for the rest of your life, it would be thruster. So today it was 10 reps to start the round, then knees-to-elbows. An element I don't remember when was the last time. Must have been a year or so. Toes-to-bar is the more classical way to do pretty much the same thing. That didn't feel good in my leg so I subbed it to this one.


Got these unbroken in every round. Last 2 rounds were more of a battle but something I was able to push through. It was more dependent of grip strength. It started to get slippery at times but I was able to re-grip at the right times.


Overhead strength


Rowing was 20 calories, that equalled to something like 270 meters if I looked it correctly on the first round. Don't know why but completing 300 meters feels easier than 20 calories. There is something with the calories that mess with my head. One calorie is about the same as one stroke. This was a good workout. My strategy was to go unbroken on the movements and took the recovery between stations. You can see the first 10 minutes of the wod in the video below.

First 10min



No comments:

Post a Comment