Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Monday 6.6: C&J, Front squat, Hspu, Ghd

Monday. Every 90sec, for 8 sets: 4 tng c&j @ 70kg. Front squats 5x4, across @ 110kg. Metcon, 10min amrap of: 10 hspu, 20 ghd. Result, 160 reps.

Good session of olympic lifts, strength work and conditioning with gymnastics elements included. Yesterday's Linda made my shoulders tight and lower back sore too. It doesn't matter if the barbell is heavy or moderate weight on deadlifts, they usually have an effect on my body the following 2-3 days.




Oly.
  • Every 90 seconds, for 8 sets (12min)
  • Perform 4 touch'n'go clean and jerks @ 70kg

I added the stakes on the clean and jerks this time, and put 70kg for multiple tng reps. This is heavier and more taxing than what the safe version would be like. It's very satisfying that 70kg barbell on this movement is not intimidating nowadays. That's how I realize development has taken place over the years.

However, doing 4 c&j's without resetting the bar at any stage is another story. That should be heavy. Quick singles are easier. This was touch'n'go so it ought to be tougher. I'm very pleased with the effort shown in this piece. Got through the 8 sets as planned. I was looking to do fewer sets it felt good so I went to 8 sets.



Strength.
  • Front squat 5x4 @ 110kg
This was also supposed to be 4 by 4 initially. Completed one more set for fun. All weights across at 110kg. Not super heavy but I haven't squatted heavy lately and my back was killing me from yesterday's deadlifts so these were a bit conservative.




Metcon. Result, 160 reps (5 rounds + 10 handstand push-ups)
  • 10min amrap of:
  • 10 handstand push-ups
  • 20 ghd sit-ups
This couplet turned out to be tougher than expected. I realized during the workout that it's about being in inverted or semi-inverted position throughout the 10 minutes and using hip flexors a lot. Maybe it was exactly the burn of hip flexors and core that also made the handstand push-ups more challenging. I went unbroken for 2-3 rounds, then came off the wall after 7 reps for 1-2 rounds and then lastly 6-2-2 or something alike in the end.

Ghd's got tough, holy moly! I thought these might be possibly unbroken all the way. How wrong was I… Well, the majority was but towards the end those got gnarly big time, and I had to jump up to stand and relax my hip flexors for couple of seconds before continuing. This happened maybe 3 times in total.






No comments:

Post a Comment