Sunday, June 19, 2016

Sunday 19.6: Thrusters, Cleans, Box, Accessory

Sunday. Thruster, build up to a heavy single (85kg). Wod, 5rds of: 10 cleans (ascending weights between 60-80kg), 15 box. Time, 9.12. Accessory. Barbell work with kettlebells hanging with rubber bands.

Today we spent the day with family in Espoo. Great day even though the weather ain't that summery at the moment. It's been raining fiercely the past couple of days. In the evening I went to the gym and worked on overhead stuff, good intense metcon and accessory work.



Overhead.

  • Build up to a heavy single thruster (40, 50, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85kg)

This was something different. Usually when I do thrusters, it's most likely going to be part of a conditioning piece. Today the focus was on strength. I did couple of reps at 40-50-60 to get used to the movement. From then on I took purely singles. My forearms and biceps are sore as hell from yesterday's hero workout. Also calves and hamstrings are sore so it was a good way to start the training session.



Mut because my arms were sensitive I started to feel the burn in those areas at some stage of building the weights up. It's cool that I've been able to put weights overhead lately and that is seen in my overhead strength too. Completing 85kg thruster rather easily was freaking great!

Thrusters


Metcon. Time, 9.12

  • 10 power cleans @ 60kg
  • 15 box jumps
  • 10 power cleans @ 65kg
  • 15 box jumps
  • 10 power cleans @ 70kg
  • 15 box jumps
  • 10 power cleans @ 75kg
  • 15 box jumps
  • 10 power cleans @ 80kg
  • 15 box jumps

This got nasty pretty soon. Breathing was heavy early on. 10 power cleans and 15 box jumps, that was the name of the game each round. I just added 5kg after each round on the barbell, ranging from 60kg to 80kg.

Strategy was to go all singles from the very get-go. Tried to keep the bar moving continuously though. Lift, drop and repeat. Only at 75kg I needed to take the first short mental break. And at 80kg I needed a break after 6 reps. It got so heavy that it felt difficult to get the barbell high enough. I don't wanna lift it with gross technique.



Box jumps were unbroken. Tried to minimize all the transitions on this one, still having some sanity on the pacing. After cleans I walked easily to the box and started jumping. After box jumps I walked to change the weights, step back, inhale and approach the barbell for another set of 10 singles. This worked well in my opinion and I'm very satisfied on the pace kept on this metcon.

Metcon


Accessory.

  • Stablity work with barbell and kettlebells
This was some sort of trend at some point. I tied some kettlebells on a barbell with the help of rubber bands. At first I did overhead walk and then overhead squats. This must be a great accessory tool for snatches and overhead stability in general.


Accessory work


It would definitely be beneficial to do bench with the help of this as well. Some people do overhead squats, that might be quite challenging. This was the first time I've ever done this kind of stuff so it was just something to get used to. As you can see, my training partner Lauri is showing some sick mobility in the video, good job mister!



No comments:

Post a Comment