Thursday, February 21, 2013

Thursday 21.2: Mary

Thursday. Benchmark wod Mary. Result 213 reps.

Another day with a benchmark workout, I have increase the amount of these ones lately. They are pretty horrific and awesome at the same time. The distusting feeling comes in quite early in the workout but the closer to the end you get, the better you feel as you realize you've pretty much done it through. The feelings during the workout vary from side to side. I believe I managed this lady well today. This was the first metcon after a couple of days "flu-ish" feeling. Toni also went for a 20min amrap, good job man!

Pistol on a box =)

Mary. Results 213 reps, 7 rounds + 3 hspu.
  • 20min amrap of:
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 10 pistol squats, alternating legs
  • 15 pull-ups
When you look at the movements in this workout, you probably realize it's not the most pleasant one. Handstand push-ups, one legged squats (a.k.a pistols) and pull-ups. I had no idea of how far I would be able to go through Mary because I haven't done pistols in a workout ever, also the amount of hspu was a bit scaring. I remember a couple of times having done them in a workout and when the wall comes, it comes quickly and the barrier is difficult to overcome. Another thing was that it's a bit difficult to breath heavy because of that damned cold I had for some days.

Thus, I had some doubts beforehand about completing the workout. However, I was determined and once I got it going, it went on quite well. First round went unbroken, also second one. On the third round my handstand push-ups faced problems, I believe I did them in 3 parts. At this point I had to think what happened. Did I run out of strength, was it a mental wall I hit, or was there something else? On the fourth round I understood it was a technical issue as I did the 4th, 5th and maybe 6th round as well unbroken =)

With pistols I went unbroken for 2-3 rounds, then it went approximately in 2 sets, something like 6+4. Considering this was the first time with pistols in a wod, they went perfectly. I remember having done them twice after a workout, just a few reps for fun.

Pistol squat

Pull-ups today went well. First 2-3 rounds unbroken, then in sets of 10+5. It felt easy for the first 2 rounds. From then on, I felt the burden after 10 reps. I didn't want to burn my upper back and hands by trying to go further but willilngly stayed at 10 reps per round, short break and another 5 reps to complete the set.

I took a break between each round to catch my breath and strength in upper body. Had I moved forward immediately to handstand push-ups, I think I couldn't have done those many in a row. I believe this strategy was the best for me today. All in all, this workout was as tough as I thought it might be beforehand. Sometimes benchmark workouts don't seem as nightmarish when you look at them on paper. Only once you start doing them, you're surprised about how challenging it is and when you're finished, you wonder what the heck just happened =)

Box jumps

Toni's workouts. Result 179 reps, 6 rounds + 5 deadlifts.
  • 20min amrap of:
  • 8 deadlifts, 100kg
  • 6 pull-ups
  • 15 box jumps, 64cm
We did the workouts almost simultaneously so I had no possibiilty to see how my training partner nailed this one. I only saw the last 2 rounds from his workout. Tony, let us hear what you thought of this one. There were a total of 53 DL, 36 pull-ups and 90 box jumps. At least it's good you got a number of reps with pull-ups. Just remain consistent with their training. How did you perform considering the broken / unbroken aspect? Were the weights on the barbell right for you? How about 90 box jumps?

Toni is done!

2 comments:

  1. The weight was perfect. Well maybe not perfect when considering that my form in deadlift broked badly in the end of the workout. Pull-ups are still my biggest challenge. I was able to do the first and the second round unbroken but then I was forced to do them in sets of 1,2 or 3.

    Box jump was the beef of this workout. I've never done 90 box jumps in one workout and my legs are singing hallelujah now.

    Back to pull-ups. Now I really start to put some effort and start doing them on daily basis. Maybe not in metcon but before of after workout for example 4 * 5 sets

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the evening's floorball training our coach organized a short competition after warm-up in the stairs. It included stair running, stair jumps, push-ups, sit-ups, back extensions for time. There was a feeling of crossfit because of the competitive aspect.

    ReplyDelete