Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Wednesday 10.6: Mu's, Front squat, 30min emom

Wednesday. Skills, muscle-ups (PR 6 reps). Strength, 3@80%, 2@85%, 1@90%, 3@85%, 2@90%, 1@95% (max 128kg). Metcon, emom x 30min: 1st min 15 russian kb swing (28kg), 2nd min 10 pull-ups, 3rd min 20m sled push (85-110kg).

Training day with my bro. The best. Our work capacity is pretty much on the same level so it's easy to come up with workouts. He wrote this training day's components all the way from skills, and strength to metcon. It turned out to be a spectacular day!



Skills.

  • Ring muscle-ups (3-3-6 reps PR)

Bro wanted to share coaching tips on the muscle-ups. There are some issues we both have on the rings. No doubt the development has been good and I'm very happy on the level I am right now. Hunger grows during time so it's time to step up our game. Bro has had an issue of linking reps together as he hasn't found the rhythm when coming down after first rep. Today he figured out some stuff, and nailed the reps beautifully after that!

Those triples felt semi-heavy and I thought after the third and final set whether I'm gonna get 3 reps or not. Then I said to my bro that next step for me should be that I should maintain tension in the body during the swing, feet close together and squeeze my butt cheeks. These three things in mind I jumped on the rings and just kept completing rep after rep, finally getting a Personal Record of 6 reps, kaboom!!!

Recap of training day


Strength.

  • Front squat
  • 3 reps @ 80% (108kg)
  • 2 reps @ 85% (115kg)
  • 1 rep @ 90% (122kg)
  • 3 reps @ 85% (115kg)
  • 2 reps @ 90% (122kg)
  • 1 rep @ 95% (128kg)

Haven't done much of these percentage work on my own. This is pretty classic stuff in the weightlifting scene and in crossfit as well. Considering the rep scheme and loads I was confident on doing these weights without problems. I just did couple of singles at 125kg few days ago.

I was a bit ashamed on the last rep at 128kg as I took a failed rep at first. That went under my skin. Couldn't believe it. So we took the barbell up on the rack and took an easy single at the same weight after a short break. This was a fun short session of front squats.



Metcon.

  • Every minute on the minute for 30 minutes
  • 1st minute: 15 kettlebell sqing, 28kg
  • 2nd minute: 10 pull-ups
  • 3rd minute: 20m sled push (85-110kg)

Long emoms are great. Lately I have done them more than before. Sipa got this from his coach so there was no doubt we would hit it. At first it felt easy. At somewhere around 20 minutes we realized the recovery started to change. Heart beat didn't come down as quickly as in the beginning. Russian swings were the easies part of this one. Haven't done russian style swings pretty much ever. They are a lot lighter. They kept the heart rate up though. Couldn't find the 2 pood bell so we used the 28kg version.

Total of 100 pull-ups were a good number for one session. I thought they would start become tougher after kb swings but forearms stayed sharp till the end. It was more like a whole-body fatigue that starting to wear us down. Each part was doable on their own. It was the combination of movements and the time domain that made the last third of the workout tough. Sled was light but in the same way it started to burn legs. We added some weight in the last rounds.



No comments:

Post a Comment