Friday, July 5, 2013

Friday 5.7: Push press, hspu, pull-ups, dips

Friday. Push press, emom for 10min, 3 reps. Workout for 20min, odd minutes hspu, even minutes pull-ups. Cashout. Curls and ring dips.

Time to activate shoulders! Emom type training methods seems to be legit, I really like them. The pressure mounts the longer you continue the workout. Today's emom training was about push press. Then more pressure on the shoulders and upper body with the help of handstand push-ups and pull-ups. Finally some arm strength.

Hspu

Strength. Push press emom

  • Every minute on the minute for 10min
  • 3 reps, push press
  • 1 set @ 60kg, 2 sets @ 65kg, 7 sets @ 70kg

This was a good call. I had no rush this time. Took some rowing, bodyweight warm-up, barbell work and stretching before I started adding weight on the bar. Took some light sets of shoulder press (40-50kg) and then it was time to move on to this workout. I thought it would work to start with 60kg and work my way up to 70kg, then stay there for the rest of the time.

On the first set of my 60kg presses, my neck snapped a little. Don't know what happened but it did not feel good. I remember having felt that same feeling about half a year ago. That time I had to take some muscle relaxants, hopefully this one is a bit easier. It didn't bother my training today but in the evening I feel my neck being a bit stiff.

First set was 60, the next 2 sets were at 65kg and the remaining 7 sets / minutes were @ 70kg. The last 3-4 rounds started to feel heavy but I completed this workout without any failures. It was exactly as tough as it should have been. The weights were perfect this time.

Pull-up

Workout. Hspu / Pull-ups

  • For 20min
  • Odd minutes, 3 strict handstand push-ups
  • Even minutes, 6 pull-ups, palms facing in

Ten rounds each movement, 30 hspu and 60 pull-ups. I did pull-ups with a different grip than what I'm used to. That's because I tried to concentrate more pressure on my arms than my lats. The amount of reps was not high and there was plenty of rest time after having completed the reps per minute. This one could have been done in shorter time or with higher reps, no doubt about it. However, I didn't feel the need to rush on this one. Basically just wanted to do some quality reps with easy pace. All reps unbroken.


One round of the workout

Cashout. Not for time
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 10 curls
  • 10 ring dips

Because I had already given a lot of tension to upper body, why not give another short workout for them as well. Bicep curls and ring dips. How come I seem to ignore dips and ring dips in my programming? Especially as they are not my strength, that's pure insanity. I've added the amount of push-ups in my warm-up, that's a routine nowadays to complete a few sets of them. The clear aim is to get more strength in my arms. That will definitely help me in all of the upper body movements.

Ring dip

My niece Mona - 7 year old - did a metcon today. It was a 12min amrap of: 5 air squats, 5 dips and 1 pull-up. She nailed 16 rounds… Those are sick numbers for a little kid, awesome job Mona! Guess she is pretty much alike with her father, my bro Sipa =)


No comments:

Post a Comment