Monday, September 9, 2013

Monday 9.9: Bench, metcon, pull-ups

Monday. Skills, ring muscle-up progressions. Strength, bench 5x5 (max 82.5kg). Metcon, 15min amrap of: 9 k2e, 12 push-ups, 15 squats. Result 11 + 6 k2e. Cashout, 50 pull-ups.

This was the first time after Mary last Wednesday that I did a proper old school metcon to put my lungs to work hard. To start the training session, I worked on my ring muscle-up skills, big swing and transition the swing to the dip my jumping from the floor.




Strength. Bench press 5-5-5-5-5 (80, 82.5, 82.5, 82.5, 80kg). Time for some bench action. Yesterday was a tough deadlift day and I totally feel it in my back right now =) Tomorrow is gonna be an olympic lifting day so I found a suitable spot for benching. Did 5's @ 80kg and a little over. I didn't have a spotter so I didn't dare to go to 85kg. I would have taken it up on the second set but those last 3 sets would have been tougher. It was nice to bench after a while, I would have liked to go a little higher but the idea was not to max out but to work on base strength.




Metcon. Result 11 rounds + 6 k2e.
  • 15min amrap of:
  • 9 knees-to-elbows
  • 12 push-ups
  • 15 squats

Wasn't sure what my lungs would say but I felt good in the morning and didn't have any problems in my throat so I decided to hit it. Bodyweight action entirely. K2e's, then push-ups and air squats. I went unbroken on the knees-to-elbows for 9 rounds, I recall. I found that cool 'cause I remember having some troubles in high-rep workouts including this movement. The start is always easy but then it starts to get to the muscles a little too much and forces me to drop from the pull-up bar.

The push-ups after bench is cruel. It was similar last time I did bench for strength and push-ups for metcon. However, when I completed Cindy about a week ago, I managed to do a bunch of them unbroken. I reckon the difference is the strength workout prior to the metcon.

Squats were ok, no problems whatsoever. It was the push-ups that blocked me from going faster. Last rounds of k2e's I had to cut in two sets (6+3) but the push-ups started to create problems from early on. I guess it was the fourth round I had to break it already.

Cashout. Not for time.
  • 50 pull-ups
Wanted to work on my pull-up skills. Last time it was chest-to-bars, today I went regular reps. My upper body was destroyed from the bench and push-ups so these pull-ups were also tougher. Completed 5 sets of 10 reps, easy pace.




Toni's workouts. Strength. Clean & jerk 5-5-5-5-5 (50, 60, 65, 70, 75kg)

Metcon. Time 14.15
  • 7 rounds of:
  • 5 handstand push-ups (scaled to foam roll)
  • 10/10 one-arm kettlebell swings, 20kg
  • 3 clean & jerk, 60kg

Assume the c&j's were rather light for Toni today and especially on the metcon it seemed like he manhandled the barbell. He's working on his hspu skills and I'm sure he's gonna fix it like he did with the pull-ups. Remember that he did just completed 17 pull-ups just like that! =)



No comments:

Post a Comment