Saturday, June 28, 2014

Saturday 28.6: 20min benchmark emom, step-ups + wall ball

Saturday. AM: Workout, emom for 20min, combination of benchmark workouts. Strength, step-ups 5 x 5/5 (80-90kg). PM: Wall ball 100 reps

Even though my body feels tired and aches a little, especially in upper body I decided to go and hit a workout. Simply couldn't stay away =) And I'm glad I didn't. It was a good training session, lots of movement - barbell and man - took place and gains were achieved. One of my little bros had his confirmation party so we drove to my paps place for the afternoon to meet the family. It was some quality time for sure! After coming back home I came up with an idea of going to test the new wall ball. Pauliina was in to the idea so we went to explore the neighborhood for a good spot.



Workout.

  • Every minute on the minute for 20 minutes
  • 1st minute: 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 15 squats
  • 2nd minute: 5 clean & jerk, 50kg
  • 3rd minute: 1 muscle-up, 4 handstand push-ups, 8 kettlebell swings, 32kg
  • 4th minute: 3 snatch, 50kg

This is some sort of combination of four different benchmark workouts. First minute is one round of Cindy, the second minute is Grace, third one refers to Nate and the fourth minute is obviously Isabel. It is emom style workout which means you complete the defined workload, then recover for the rest of the minute before moving on to the following movements. After four minutes you start over, and continue for a total of 20 minutes.


It's not that easy to say which was the easiest or toughest one. Every set started to feel heavy at some point and it wasn't an easy recovery minute at any time. And my shoulders were burning already before the workout even started. I used same weights on the barbell for clean & jerks and snatches. Beforehand I thought about doing c&j's at 60kg and snatches at 50kg. It was a good decision to go with one barbell. Clean and jerks might still have been the easiest one to handle. 50kg is not that much, I don't remember doing this light reps with this movement.


Those muscle-ups were a disaster. I got the first rep done but from then on it was all fails. They were all close but I couldn't dive through aggressively enough. Plus one round of Nate would include 2 muscle-ups. I knew that would be too much for me as an emom workout. Hspu's and kb swings were okay stuff.

Those snatches surprised me somewhat. Each rep was tough and I had to take them as singles. Body was simply not receptive to these snatches. Used hook grip on most of the reps. 20 minutes was as far as I wanted to go.



Strength.

  • Step-ups 5 x 5/5 (80, 90, 90, 90, 90kg)

After resting for couple of minutes I still wanted to have something done. That workout burned my legs but there was something left. Squats would have been too much at this point but step-ups felt like a good idea. Haven't done those in ages. Really got to put core to work a lot too to keep the package tight. I took 5 reps with left leg and then 5 reps with right leg. One set with 60kg, another at 80kg and then couple sets with 90kg.



Wall ball.

  • 100 reps

This was fun! I had no goals for this "workout". Just wanted to get used to my wall ball and check it out where would be a good place to throw that ball to the wall. I took 20 reps at first, then couple of 10's and then 15's in the end, short recovery between sets. It wasn't a metcon, more like skills and technique, getting used to the movement.

I've thrown some wall balls earlier but most of the time it's been my brother's self-made basketball filled with sand (9.1kg). Toni's Box has 8kg wb which we played around this Wednesday. This ball is 9kg and is going to be part of my outdoor workouts for sure. My gym's ceiling is not high enough so this could be used there but that's no problem, I'm sure there's gonna be great workouts ahead of me combining wall ball, kettlebells and bodyweight!





No comments:

Post a Comment