Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Tuesday 2.9: Snatches, Team Series Event 1

Tuesday. Strength, power snatch (max 60kg). Metcon, Team Series Event no: 1, with Toni: 12min amrap of: 30 du, 15 snatch (35kg). Result, 399 reps.

It was another day at the gym with awesome training partners. Toni just spent 2 weeks on a holiday in Thailand and his affiliate is having a reload week so he's entered the gym where it all started from, 2 days in a row. It was as big a thing that Jouni - who just started his crossfit career - joined us for a great training session. Jouni tried his first deadlifts ever, and happened to pull 130kg for multiple reps, haha what a gift of nature! He absorbed every tip we tried to share with Toni and utilized them right away on his lifts, great job mister!




Barbell.

  • Power snatch, 5x40, 5x50, 5x55, 5x55, 1x60, 3x60kg

As Toni was at the gym too I needed to take advantage of his eye as a coach. Once again he had things to correct, this time especially in my starting position on the snatch, and the way my knees behave on the first pull from ground. Great tips and I was able to change some of the things he pointed out.

The bar felt lighter than normally. I've never taken a triple with 60kg which is phenomenal. I've taken them as singles regularly. Don't know if I've ever even taken a double. Plus there were 5's of 55kg. This was great! I feel like I was able to pull back exactly on the way coach Burgener instructed on the video I posted yesterday. Take a look, short and simple clip. Anyway, great session to say the least. It took some time as all three of us did our strength alternating and talked the technical things over in a group to get the best outcome of the brainstorming.



Metcon. Result, 399 reps. Compare to 24.1.2013

  • 12 min amrap of:
  • 30 double unders
  • 15 power snatch, 35kg
  • One athlete completes one round, then sets off the second athlete

This workout is something you have come across if you've ever done Crossfit Open workouts. This was the first workout in both 2011 and repeatedly 2014 (11.1 and 14.1). I've done it once about 1.5 years ago, together with Toni, as individuals though. Today we did as a team, exactly as described in the Team Series Event 1. That means 12min amrap of the same movements. One athlete works at a time, completes one full round, then change turns.



I started the workout, stumbled on the double unders for some awkward reason 2-3 times, even though we are talking about 30 reps. That was a little odd but I got my s*it together and didn't make any mistakes on the upcoming rounds, they went unbroken all the way. Snatches went unbroken too. Beforehand we talked with Toni it would be great to get 2-3 rounds unbroken so it was an awesome feeling to get the whole workout done without putting the bar back on the ground. It definitely burned a lot, no doubt about it, but I had strong mental game and didn't give any slack on myself.

First reps on the snatches felt light, then at around 8-10 reps I started to feel the burden. I used hook grip - luckily - to save my forearms and that was one of the smartest decisions on this one. It took a little over a minute per round if I looked at the clock correctly, maybe something like 70 seconds. First round was more like one and a half minutes because of those amateur mistakes on the jump rope.


The nature of this workout was different comparing to doing this one as an individual because we were able to hit it as quick as possible. That's because you had the rest period while the other guy was doing his share of the workout. Big shoutout to Toni for doing this workout with me, it pushed me a lot and I didn't want to drop the bar as there was a team mate's effort in play too. Plus there's always something extra when he comes to the gym, thanks man!



No comments:

Post a Comment