Thursday, October 23, 2014

Thursday 23.10: Calisthenics, Thrusters

Thursday. Skills, calisthenics. Barbell, thruster emom, 5 rep per min (30-50kg), for 15min.

Today was supposed to be entirely gymnastics type of day without any weights at all. I started with in a similar ways as on Monday, except for the ring skills. Mainsite's workout tickled my crossfit senses throughout the day so I took a short test on that one. My shoulders felt everything but ready for that so I did it only for a while. Today was anyway scheduled a barbell-free day.



Skills.
  • Calisthenics
These holds that I did on Monday felt awesome and it was cool to witness the control over my own body has takes huge steps forward, and I wanted to see whether that was one-time luck or was it actually true. Frog stand is easy now, I can stay there forever, and the planche progression holds are also coming together.

New thing I went after was headstand in a way I was taught earlier today. Difficult to explain but my wrists and elbows were both in contact with the floor, pointed straight forward. Well, at least they were not together which means to say this demanded much more from core and shoulders to find a good solid pose. Regular headstand is a piece of cake nowadays, no challenge there but this was something totally different, and put my body to a test. Cool stuff, I like to play around with bodyweight.



Barbell.
  • With a continuously running clock complete 5 thrusters every minute
  • From 0:00 - 5:00, 30kg
  • From 5:00 - 10:00, 40kg
  • From 11:00 - 15:00, 50kg
Yes, this was crossfit.com's workout of the day on Thursday. Pat Barber and Wes Piatt threw down on this one so you'll see their video below. It's a good workout and you get warmed up while you're doing it. That's because it starts light and you have plenty of time to get ready for the heavier weights. I bet it's gonna hit you like a wall at some stage.

My shoulders were not feeling prepared for barbell action today so I did this one for 15 minutes only. I was figuring I'd be somewhere around 70kg on this one. 60kg thrusters shouldn't be impossible. It's not nice but they're doable. Don't know what the reality would be though. This seemed like a good workout, better try it out some day.


Had plenty of training pals today at the gym but I had to take just a short session of gymnastics stuff and thrusters. Toni and Joni were working on some oly lifts, Jouni dominated the deadlift scene and Jasper also hit it just when I had finished my thrusters. Pauliina had active recovery type of session this time.




No comments:

Post a Comment