Thursday, October 30, 2014

Thursday 30.10: Snatch, Rowing Nancy

Thursday. Technique, snatch. Metcon, Rowing Nancy, 5rds of: 400m row, 15 ohs (42.5kg). Time 15.13.

Today's star moment was written in my calendar as being benchmark workout Nancy, rowing version of it. Before hitting the actual metcon I had planned to do either clean and jerks or snatches. I felt a little beaten up, especially in my lower body already in the warm-up section. Legs got tired pretty soon so the barbell play time was kind of short and light weight, concentrating in technique and form rather than big loads.



Barbell.
  • Squat snatch technique at 30-40kg
This is something I've got more and more enthusiastic over lately. I wanna get the bar path nice before trying to force heavier loads. I have readjusted the grip width recently to match better to my body and it has helped me in the "first pull". I can make the contact with bar and body in correct height on the hips. That is great news. The bar tends to still go a little too much forward instead of traveling straight up vertically.



This snatch session included power snatches from ground and from hang position plus squat snatches from both ground and hang. Finally I took some snatch balance work. That seems to be the most natural part of this movement. And what is extremely positive thing is that my mobility is on a level that I don't have to use that as an excuse for not working on this movement. The weights were not playing big role this time, just playing with the bar and getting familiar with the movement.



Rowing Nancy. Time, 15.13. Compare to 22.4.2014
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 400m row
  • 15 overhead squat, 42.5kg
Nice, Nancy is always a great workout. I've hit this one twice before as described. This ought to be a running workout spiced with overhead squats. Run one lap on a track for 400m, then complete 15 ohs at 42.5kg. Well okay, no need to use a track, distance is the defining factor. Repeat for a total of 5 rounds and you're done. I've done this once together with Toni in Liikuntamylly and then once on my own in the same place. That is one of those rare venues where I can hit this one and it's been an eternity since I've had the chance to train there. Need to have a holiday or a day off to get there. Magnificent place by the way.

I was bitching a bit to Pauliina about having some pain in my right wrist. Probably nothing big but it's feeling very tight without any reason. Haven't injured it anywhere, just realized it maybe yesterday that it's super tight. So I was thinking about just rowing easy and doing some ohs but Pauliina put me back in my place and made me work hard for this benchmark wod. Thanks for that!




Rowing pace was somewhere around 1:45 for the first round, then 1:50 and at some rounds closer to 1:55, there were pace per 500m, that's what the digits show on the Concept2. I knew the difference would be made on the squats rather than rower. I could win just seconds by rowing harder so the bar movement would make a bigger influence on the final time.

Previous time I managed to get all rounds unbroken on the ohs. Today my legs were jello after first round. That was kind of awkward, couldn't figure out why but that made me drop the bar on the second round after 10 reps. On the rounds of 2-4 I did the sets in 2 attempts, either 10-5 or 11-4. On the last round I grit my teeth and pushed it unbroken again. I'd thought my shoulders would have bailed on me before legs but it was the other way around. Sick.

The nature of this rowing version was different than when running. Running got my heart beat higher and more miserable on lungs. Rowing got my muscles more fatigued. Different kind of burn on these two. Both rocked and were pure crossfit workouts, hands down! This workout finished one week of some sort of benchmark workouts. On Saturday I repeated that one crossfit.com workout, then one of the Open workouts, Christine, Cindy-ish, Helen and Nancy. Some sort of version of these benchmarks saw the daylight, maybe a little modified for one reason or the other but I can definitely feel these in my body right now. It's been great to hit these classics!




1 comment: