Monday, December 15, 2014

Monday 15.12: OHS, Josh

Monday. Ohs 3x2 (70kg). Hero wod Josh, time 10.43.

Long day at work, after which I drove back home to my love, ate some dinner and then we headed to the gym with my baby. Program stood heavy overhead squat doubles and a hero workout I just recently  caught from somewhere. I've missed this one totally before. Maybe I have ignored it because overhead squats have been a problem earlier. But new tides have turned and I can rock them nowadays. Josh, here I come!



Strength.
  • Overhead squat 3x2 (across 70kg)
My intention was to get some heavy ohs done before the actual workout in order to get the metcon weights feel light. Plus it's about time to hit some heavier reps every once in a while. Focus was on moving deep enough and find good balance on the movement. Had no problems carrying the weight on my shoulders. That was good news. It was too heavy for me to try drop it to back rack. I could have but it was a bit intimidating so I decided to drop it to the floor.


Ohs recap


Took some lighter sets at 40, 50, and also 60kg warm-up sets. Total of 5 sets at 40kg, going as deep as possible, like a pause squat depth. That felt great so I continued the same process on 50 and 60kg. On the sets of 70kg my depth was not rock bottom but still below parallel. It would be a good call to go as deep as possible each and every time I squat. Just like on back and front squats.


Josh. Time, 10.43

  • 21 overhead squat, 42.5kg
  • 42 pull-ups
  • 15 overhead squat, 42.5kg
  • 30 pull-ups
  • 9 overhead squat, 42.5kg
  • 18 pull-ups
Great workout! It was challenging on grip strength for sure! My forearms were killing me during the pull-ups. Strategy was to hit barbell movement without dropping the bar at any point. I knew that would be a bit of a challenge but I was able to make it. Goal achieved. I had no idea how long this wod would take time, I guessed something between 10-20 minutes. It ended up being correct, final time 10.43 =)


Ohs was the easier movement. Pull-ups were awful. On the set of 42 reps I cut it early on. It was 10-10-8-7-7 reps. Next round was something like 6-4-4-4-3-3-3-3, and the last one 6-3-3-2-2-2. That means to say it definitely wasn't easy to hold on to the pull-up bar and knock the reps on.


Go ahead and try the workout. Be aware to have some good tension in the forearms. Plus don't let the barbell drop at any point.

Josh recap





No comments:

Post a Comment