Friday, March 13, 2015

Friday 13.3: Deadlifts, Row, Jerk, Box

Friday. Strength, deadlift 7x3 (mostly 160kg). Metcon, 5rds of: 500m row, 7 jerk (60kg), 14 box.

Classic Friday pulling was in schedule today. Wasn't too pumped up about squatting this time as I usually do just before deadlifts. So I paid more attention to lifting, then took a metcon with rowing as main ingredient. Mixed with shoulder-to-overhead and box jumps.


3x160kg

Pulling.
  • Deadlift 7x3 (140, 150, 160, 160, 160, 160, 160kg)
It's been a while since doing triples of deadlift with rather heavy kilos. I would have liked to go heavier but there's been an issue with my grip lately. Don't know why but it hurts like hell in my hands / fingers when I pull. If the bar is too much on my palm, it feels like the calluses are gonna pop off and then it's all ripped and bloody and takes a lot to recover, and grip is destroyed for a week. If I place the bar too much on fingers, it feels like they are going to get cut off of my hand, like a knife would cut them just like that. This is kind of an amateur problem as I find it difficult to find a good spot to place the bar on my hand.

Anyway, the bar was light for these triples. I would have definitely done at least 170kg pulls had my hands tolerated it better. My back and hamstrings took it great, easy money. Got to find a solution to this grip thing and pull some serious weight!




Metcon. Time, 17.34
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 500m row
  • 7 push jerk, 60kg
  • 14 box
No doubt rowing sucks =) Especially in a metcon. It was 1:50 pace each round, in the beginning around 1:45. Figured there's no point in pulling my ass off and then wait and recover more than I would had I taken the rowing couple seconds slower. That's the reasoning for me pacing.




Push jerks went unbroken and felt surprisingly good on those all the way. It was quite similar in all five rounds of the workout. Okay, they took my energy somewhat and I couldn't start jumping the box jumps right after the jerks were completed. Those were unbroken also, no need to stop down on boxes in my opinion. Today my energy level wasn't in extreme levels and the combination of these movements was taxing for sure.

This took me something like 3:30 per round on average. First round was 3:19, then it slowed down to 3:30-3:48 for the following three rounds and the last one was the fastest at 3:07. This means to say I wasn't pushing it 100% in the beginning as I was able to top the time in the last round. Good day of training anyway!



No comments:

Post a Comment