Friday, March 6, 2015

Friday 6.3: Ohs, Deads, Metcon

Friday. Strength, Ohs triples (max 75kg). Emom x 7min: 5 deads @ 140kg. Metcon, 7rds of: 7 hspu, 7 hang power clean (50kg), 7 push jerk (50kg), 14 box jump overs. Time, 15.30.

Last night was time for the second live Open announcement, CF Open 15.2. It was a repeat workout from last year, 14.2. Not my cup of tea. I just did it earlier this year and sucked at it big time. I'm not participating in the Open anyway, just enjoying myself watching my friends compete. I don't train at a crossfit affiliate, it would probably pull me in the atmosphere if others at our gym would be doing it. For now, I'll just enjoy the ride, and follow these monsters in live announcements smash the workouts. On my own behalf, today was ohs strength, emom deads and about 15min metcon.



Strength.
  • Overhead squats 5x40, 5x50, 3x60, 3x65, 3x70, 3x75kg
This was success. Super cool movement if you ask me, especially when bigger weights are included. But no matter what load there is on the bar, the movement requires good mobility so when I'm hitting the absolute bottom position, I smile every time internally. My mobility hasn't been there but the last half a year has made a big difference. That has also allowed me to add more ohs and squat snatch training, and it has been a blast!

Today I had the feeling of building up to a heavy triple. Last time I did triples, in early February, it ended up to 70-72.5kg, and felt like it's the most I could lift. Today it was much better. Last two sets at 70-75kg were rather heavy but not the heaviest I can go. I believe I have more in reserve. It was bit wobbly but still well in control.



Pulling.
  • Every minute on the minute x 7min
  • 5 deadlift @ 140kg
Friday pulls included emom work this time. Previous deadlift sessions have been percentage work between 10-6 reps with ascending weights, building the base. Today the game changed to building up muscle endurance. Short recovery, and more intense movement.

The weight wasn't too bad. I still have that crack in my palm and I haven't cut calluses this week so it was a risk to place the bar normally. So I had to hang it from my fingers, and I'm telling you, it hurt like hell. For a moment I thought my fingers are going to get cut off =) Had to put more tape in the middle of this one. That helped a lot and it wasn't an issue anymore to pull. Back felt strong all the way.




Metcon. Time, about 15.30
  • 7 rounds of:
  • 7 handstand push-ups
  • 7 hang power clean, 50kg
  • 7 push jerk, 50kg
  • 14 box jump overs
This Friday was more like freestyling and cruising through whatever comes to mind. Overhead squats and deadlifts as elements were clear though. There was no doubt I was about to do those for strength, just wasn't sure how to implement them. This metcon popped into my head after deadlifts.

After writing some ideas down, it took this form. Wanted about a 15 minute workout, so this was pretty good knowledge of my own body. My timer-man accidentally reset the time after the workout so the time was not accurate. It was most likely something between 15.30-16.00. It was quite steady pace anyway. First round was way faster but then it slowed down just seconds every round. The toughest part of this one was the shoulder-to-overhead movement.



Hspu's went unbroken, and actually just the last 2 rounds were tough. Other than that it was no big deal. This indicates that my handstand push-ups have gone a lot forward. About a year ago I remember having some angst over this movement but then I tripled the volume of those reps. Little by little those got better and year 2014 really did make a big deal.

Power cleans from hang position were light. So the beginning of each round was easier than the rest of it. I put down the bar after 6 cleans, recovered for a while and took the last clean to jerk it up 7 times. Those got pretty heavy from early on. Have to say it was the toughest element of the entire workout and I really had to push it towards the end. Probably the combination of hspu's and jerks got to me even though hspu's were okay.

Box jump overs took my heart beat up big time. So as jerks put my muscles to test, box jumps put my heart do the work. It was a good combination of movements. And a good training session in general too, great to have those ohs done, and that my fingers held on in the deads.




No comments:

Post a Comment