Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Wednesday 18.3: Row, Burpee, 12min metcon

Wednesday. Emom x 14: odd min 15 cal row, even min 15 burpee. Metcon, 12min amrap of: 5 power clean (70kg), 15 box, 30 hr push-ups. Result, 205 reps.

Wednesday's session was two-metcon workload. No strength part as such. Rowing and burpees are horrible as a combination, no doubt about it. It took me some time to get my s**t together. Then I threw down for another metcon we wrote together with Toni earlier.



Conditioning.
  • Every minute on the minute, for 14 minutes
  • Odd min, 15 cal row
  • Even min, 15 burpee
  • Total of 105 cal / burpee
Yeah, it seemed much easier on paper and it actually was pleasant for couple of minutes. Tide turned pretty quickly due to burpees. Rowing was a bit nastier every round but the beef in this workout was definitely the burpees. It took me about 38 seconds to pull for those 15 calories. I had the dumper setting at about 8, which is quite regular setting on the Concept 2-rower.

This was a 7-rounder in total. Seven sets of 15 burpees, which also took about the same amount of time as rowing, little less than 40 seconds. Those 20 seconds slipped away quickly. My pace stayed the same in every single set and that is victory for me. I was going to a darker and darker place towards the end but there was enough strength to battle through. My goal was to have that 100 cal / rep barrier broken.





Metcon. Result, 205 reps (4 rounds + 5 clean)
  • 12min amrap of:
  • 5 power clean, 70kg
  • 15 box
  • 30 hand release push-ups
It took some time to walk the pain away after the last burpee. I went to cheer on my baby for a while, chilled out and started warming up for the barbell action. Cleans felt good so I piled up for 70kg which was the original plan. After the first workout the thought of 70kg on the bar was a distant dream. I got them rolling pretty well and with good technique in my opinion.

The first workout probably had its effect on the second one because my legs were jello from rather early on. Cleans were okay, had to shake my legs though before taking the first box jump. Did those unbroken as there were only 15 reps anyway.




Hand release push-ups were tough. Originally I had written the rep scheme a bit differently but it was a good call from Toni to build the amount of reps high for push-ups. That was definitely a high-rep set for me, and those would not be done unbroken for sure. I did these in a similar way every round: 10-8-7-5 reps.

Great to get some heavy breathing under way in the form of these two workouts. Even though there wasn't strength portion I liked the idea of incorporating semi heavy cleans in the metcon.




No comments:

Post a Comment