Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Wednesday 25.3: Overhead complex, Ohs, Push jerk

Wednesday. Overhead complex, 5 sets of: 1 push press, 1 push jerk, 1 split jerk (max 80kg). Ohs with a pause, singles (max 75kg). Workout, 3rds of: 2min push jerk (60kg), 2min rest. Result, 20 reps each set.

My head is still full of snot so metcon didn't find itself to my program this Wednesday. After work we went with Pauliina to check out one new gym that opened its doors last Friday. It was sick. Kind of a crossfit Box without with the possibility to come and go however you want, and whenever you want. The place was filled with Rogue and Eleiko bumper plates, squat racks and pull-up bars. They even had a 20m grass where you can pull / push sled, handstand walk or do farmer's walk. Basically whatever you want. We're going to train there one day and check it how it feels like.



Overhead complex.

  • 5 sets of:
  • 1 push press
  • 1 push jerk
  • 1 split jerk
  • Sets @ 70, 75, 80, 80, 80kg

Today I still went to the old gym to workout. There's a lot of restored energy benchmarked for metcons. Had to postpone hardcore versions to future though. I kept it light today on the barbells. My left shoulder wasn't feeling great so there was no chance of going to limits.

First it was a complex for developing overhead strength. Complex work are awesome, I really enjoy those every single time. It's a different style of stimulus brought to the body. I've done similar combination of movements at about 85-90kg. The most difficult of these is traditionally the push jerk. There are some mobility issues which make push jerk more challenging. On lighter weights it doesn't have any issues.



Ohs.

  • Overhead squat singles with a pause
  • Weights @ 40, 50, 60, 70, 75kg

This part was just for fun. Wanted to smash couple of overhead squats, and especially with a pause in the bottom. On 40kg and 50kg I took couple of reps but then on the heavier ones just wanted to feel it once and I was done.

Last one was tough and fell a bit forward in the bottom. I was able to save it anyway. Those lighter weights were okay stuff. Overhead squats usually don't feel in my legs at all. It's light weight considering my squats but my shoulders always feel a bit tense and I should focus on having my shoulders externally rotated and armpits forward each time. That is the focus, it's just so darn hard because my shoulders are tight.



Workout. Result, 20 reps per set

  • 3 rounds of:
  • 2min amrap push jerk, 60kg
  • 2min rest

Didn't come up with any better idea so I put on 60kg on the bar and put the clock running. Just simply do a 2min amrap of push jerks, then rest 2 minutes, and repeat for a total of 3 rounds. I've done this in the past maybe 2-3 times in the past 3 years. Stolen from Mikko Salo, the champ. This time I didn't gas out from the beginning. Just worked through 10 reps, racked the bar, then took 2x5 reps to finish each set at 20 reps.

Push jerk amrap at 60kg

There was 20+ seconds left in the clock in the first 2 rounds, but this last one burned my shoulders more so there was only 10 seconds left in the timer after 20 reps. This is a great workout for building up shoulders. Today these 20 reps were enough for me. That was a clear goal as the timer hit 3-2-1-go.





No comments:

Post a Comment