Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Wednesday 20.5: Presses, Run, Pull-ups, Burpees

Wednesday. Push press 3-3-3-3-3 (max 78kg). Split jerk technique. Metcon, 15min amrap of shuttle run, pull-ups, burpees.

Morning workout. Overhead work to start with. Push presses, and some technique for jerks. Conditioning consisting of running, pull-ups and burpees. Great combo to end the session and then head to work.



Overhead.

  • Push press 3-3-3-3-3 (70, 73, 75, 78, last set 2x80kg)
  • Split jerk technique

Lately I've had a fixation of getting my shoulders stronger. Not to get them bigger or to being able to press / jerk more weight but to be better and more efficient on metcons. That's what I want at the end of the day. To be able to move faster and more effortless. One rep maxes are cute but I prefer dark place metcons. To being better at them you need strength. Barbells become lighter and bodyweight movements become easier with more strength.

I'm very happy my shoulders and elbows are feeling okay and I've been able to put weight overhead in the past days. Today's heaviest completed triple was at 78kg. The second rep at 80kg was a battle and it was obvious a third one would have failed as a push press. Prior to doing presses and also afterwards I worked on my split jerk's foot work. Aiming to shoot me legs out front and back enough.




Metcon. Result, 6 full rounds + 12 x 20m run

  • 15min amrap of:
  • 2 rounds of
  • 5x20m shuttle run
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 10 burpee
  • 2 rounds of
  • 10x20m shuttle run
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 10 burpee
  • 2 rounds of
  • 15x20m shuttle run
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 10 burpee
  • 2 rounds of
  • 20x20m shuttle run
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 10 burpee...

This metcon was kick ass material. Haven't been running at all in this new place at all. Now I realized it's possible to do shuttle runs on that 20 meter grass mat back and forth. It was like running increasing distances and doing pull-ups and burpees between running. Two rounds of running 100 meters, then running 200 meters, then 300m and finally 400m if I had time. After every running set there was a fixed number of pull-ups and burpees, 10 reps of both movements.




So there was a total of about 1.5km running, 60 pull-ups and 60 burpees if I counted right. Got pull-ups and burpees unbroken, and on the sprints I decided to keep moving with the same pace on every turn. After sprints I walked to the pull-up bar and after burpees I walked to the start line of the running. Other than that I kept moving all the time. And felt good about this.




No comments:

Post a Comment