Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tuesday 19.3: Diane, short metcon

Tuesday. Diane. Time 17.47. Short row & push-up metcon.

I've been tempted to do Diane for a loooong time. However, my handstand push-ups have been in its infancy so I haven't felt it rational to do so yet. Last week as I programmed this week's workouts I decided to hit it anyway, no matter what. Toni travelled to Denmark for a few days so let's see what kind of workouts his imagination brings up.

Ready for a vest-walk yesterday

Diane. Time 17.47
  • 21-15-9
  • Deadlift, 102.5kg
  • Handstand push-ups
Now I have that benchmark time in this wod from which to improve. Deadlifts were definitely not the issue in this workout because of the weight, 102.5kg. I still intentionally broke the deadlifts on the first (15+6) and second round (10+5) and went unbroken in the third one. Why is that? Because I figured the benefit of doing them unbroken from the start would vanish as I transferred to handstand push-ups. HSPUs weren't easy for sure.

On the first round I managed to push them through somehow. It was something like 5 minutes and sets of 5-4-4 and triples, maybe some doubles in the end. On the second round - round of 15's - I hit a big wall after 8 reps. From then on, it went on mostly in singles. My shoulders just couldn't take the pressure and perform many consecutive reps. There were some doubles but at least on the last set I had to all singles, as I remember.

For this reason I had my breath under control pretty much all the way from start to finish. Had I done handstand push-ups in a row or in 2-3 sets each round, the nature of the workout would have been totally different. Now it mostly consumed my strength from shoulders and triceps. My HSPUs have improved a lot and I must keep on strengthening my upper body to have them roll perfectly and for longer times in workouts.

In Mary some time ago had the possibility to nail 38 reps, today there were 45 reps in total. In Mary there were only 5 reps each round so it was definitely easier than completing 21 in a row =) Therefore I was happy for being able to do this benchmark girl at this stage!

Metcon.
  • 2 rounds of
  • 500m row
  • 25 hand release push-ups
This was something little to the end. I realized I must increase row load in the future. Just saw Mikko Salo's interview by Rogue Fitness Europe in Facebook / Youtube in which he talked his training methods with rowing machine and skierg. I was blown away with the amount of work the mate is doing with both of them. And I'm longing for that skierg I used to utilize back in Sweden! After doing this short metcon I also did 4x12 triceps as grande finale.

1 comment: