Friday, July 26, 2013

Friday 26.7: Cleans, hero wod Chief

Friday. Cleans, 1 rep every 30 seconds @ 85kg for 10min. Hero wod Chief. Result 72 cleans, 144 push-ups, 207 squats.

Was looking forward to try this new workout, how it feels like to go for rather heavy single cleans with only short rest periods. There was also a hero wod looming in the horizon, the Chief. I've done it once and I remembered it was a handful. Toni was supposed to do it side be side but had some timetable issues and left home to complete it at his back yard.




Cleans.

  • 1 rep every 30 seconds @ 85kg for 10 minutes
  • Total of 20 reps

Enjoyed this one a lot. I remember seeing Chris Spealler who I've seen completing similar type of workouts. Not same, but similar. I felt good with the weight, could have added weight which surprised me positively. I thought the bar would start to come a challenge but I manhandled it all the way. It felt like each lift was similar, no wiggling or shaking at any stage. Felt simply awesome.




Chief. Compare to 4.2.2013

  • 3min amrap of:
  • 3 power cleans, 60kg
  • 6 push-ups
  • 9 air squats
  • 1min rest
  • Repeat for a total of 5 cycles


This one is a lot of work. It's one of the rare workouts where I've had to lay on the floor after time is done. Today I took it a bit easier but was stilled gassed. It's a 19min workout including the rests. 5 sets of 3 mini workouts, 3min amraps followed by 1min rest and recovery period.

On the first round I got through 5 rounds in 2:30. I didn't feel like a beast so I needed to save some energy. Saved too much I think. Had I gone all in, there would have been enough time to squeeze almost one round more. On the second round I also had about 15-20sec left on the clock. The third round was tough, barely made it through 5 rounds in 3mins.

The middle of the workout was the toughest mentally. On the fourth round my transitions were slower and stopped occasionally to catch a breath. That third 3min amrap had its consequences and I felt more gassed in the beginning of 4th cycle already in the beginning. Thus, got a result of only 4 rounds. There was also some time left on the clock when finishing it.




The last round on pretty much every workout is always easier than the round before. It's time for that final sprint. Almost made it to 5 rounds, missing only the air squats. The most challenging movement in Chief is the squats. Sounds awkward but that's how it's been both times I've done it. All cleans and push-ups unbroken. From some point on I had to finish squats in 2 sets, taking 2 inhales in the middle of it. I'm having trouble understanding why it happens with such a little amount of reps but that's how it was. Comparing to the February's performance, today my squats were perfect. I don't like to watch that past video because of the those over the parallel squats. Today I felt great about them!




Have no excuses, should have pushed harder from the beginning to reach an ideal result. I was reaching for 5 rounds each cycle and recover the rest of the time, no matter how much is left on the clock. Seemed a good idea in the beginning but turned out not to be =) There was a lot of reps on this workout anyway. Total of 72 cleans (4.320kg), 144 push-ups and 207 air squats.

Results of Chief. Total of 72 cleans, 144 push-ups and 207 squats

  • 1st cycle: 5 rounds
  • 2nd cycle: 5 rounds
  • 3rd cycle: 5 rounds
  • 4th cycle: 4 rounds
  • 5th cycle: 4 rounds + 6 push-ups


Toni's workout.
  • Hero wod Chief
  • Result. 5, 4, 3, 3, 3 rounds.
He completed them at the back yard of his house. Tell us some feelings Pony!





1 comment:

  1. As I remembered this one was bad. I had some problems getting my engine running at top speed. But I'm happy about doing this workout because to be honest I almost pulled a "rest day-card" from the sleeve.

    Not happy about my cleans today but push ups and squats were rolling. Push ups went unbroken but I had to break my squat sets in the last rounds. In cleans I had one failed rep but otherwise they went unbroken.

    ReplyDelete